Potluck not a rage against Machine

Wesley Vaughn’s recent column mentioned the Progressive Potluck as a force of change on campus. The following day, Michael Patrick’s column discussed the potluck with a similar attitude. In both instances the potluck was mentioned in contrast to the “oppressive walls that have been put up by the Machine.” Intentional or not, they have implied that we are organizing against the Machine.

We, the collaborators behind the Progressive Potluck, would like to clarify: The potluck is open to all students, especially those who belong to cause-oriented student groups. Using a casual, welcoming atmosphere, we aim to create opportunities for busy students and leaders to come together over a meal to network, share ideas and recruit new members or volunteers. Ultimately, our goal is to cultivate leadership within these organizations and facilitate collaboration among student groups.

To be progressive means to advocate progress, change, improvement or reform—you are not required to be a liberal or hippie to attend. Our purpose is not politically motivated; we are not the Counter-Machine, nor do we endorse candidates. Individuals attending may work on campaigns or run for office. Candidates aligned with progressive ideals may (or may not) find in us a solid voting block, similar to the greek system for Machine candidates. But as a coalition, UA Progressive Students does not require voting or collectively campaign.

Our collaboration could lead to the development of strong independent leaders, possibly candidates for SGA office or other leadership positions. Vaughn and Patrick cleverly foresaw this capacity, and their views are understood. However, should UA Progressive Students lead to the running of a strong independent candidate, it would be the by-product of leadership development, and not of specific intention. We are here working for progress in many forms, and we welcome all students wanting to do the same.

Linn Groft, a senior, and Caitlin McClusky, a junior, are students in New College. Mallory Flowers is a sophomore in applied mathematics.