Alabama soccer shut out by No. 23 Virginia Tech

CW / Hannah Saad

Joey Blackwell, Staff Reporter

Despite a late comeback attempt, the Alabama soccer team lost 2-0 at No. 23 Virginia Tech 2-0 in Blacksburg, Virginia on Thursday night.

The Crimson Tide outperformed the Hokies in most offensive stats, but couldn’t capitalize on the opportunities and left the game without scoring a goal.

“We won a lot of stats tonight, but no the ones that matter,” Alabama head coach Wes Hart said. “I am proud of the fight as well of the quality of soccer, but we need to find a way to win these games if we want to take the next step with this program.”

The Crimson Tide started off the night with the momentum at its back, shooting six shots with four being on goal. However, it was the Hokies who were able to score first, on a breakaway in the 36th minute.

After the break, Virginia Tech increased its lead to two goals in the 55th minute.

Alabama sophomore forward Riley Mattingly had an opportunity to score a goal in the 78th minute with a penalty kick but missed to the right.

The Crimson Tide remained scoreless, and the Hokies won the game 2-0.

Despite the loss, Alabama’s offense outshot Virginia Tech 14-7. It also shot eight more corner kicks than the Hokies, besting them 10-2. Junior forward Casey Wertz led the team with four total shots.

Junior goalkeeper Alex Plavin had two saves in the loss.

With the loss, the Crimson Tide drops to 3-2 on the season. The Hokies remain undefeated at 5-0.

Alabama concludes its five-game road trip Thursday at Jacksonville State. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT.