PRACTICE REPORT: Both lines still not at full health

CW / Hannah Saad

James Ogletree, Sports Editor

Alabama continued fall camp with an outdoor practice on a sunny, 95-degree Thursday afternoon. Here are our observations from the team’s 12th of 20 fall camp practices:

Defensive linemen D.J. Dale (sprained knee) and Stephon Wynn Jr. (surgery) were still absent from practice. Coach Nick Saban said on Saturday that he expected Dale back within a week.

In Josh McMillon‘s absence, redshirt sophomore linebacker Markail Benton remained second in the ILB order and was alongside Dylan Moses in the team’s nickel defense. The second-team nickel defense consisted of inside linebackers Ale Kaho and Shane Lee, cornerbacks Jalyn Armour-Davis and Marcus Banks, nickelback/Star Shyheim Carter, and safeties Daniel Wright and Jordan Battle.

After veterans Terrell Lewis and Anfernee Jennings, the next pair of outside linebackers was Chris Allen and true freshman Kevin Harris II. 

Redshirt junior offensive lineman Landon Dickerson worked with portions of the first- and second-team offensive lines. Chris Owens and Emil Ekiyor Jr. were both only participating in some drills so it’s tough to get a feel for where the first team stands for now.

The wide receivers worked on complex passing routes with the quarterbacks. Slade Bolden and Tyrell Shavers were the second pair of outside receivers, behind junior starters DeVonta Smith and Henry Ruggs III.

Tight end Miller Forristall was at the front of the group and appeared to be running unencumbered. He was followed by Major Tennison and Cameron Latu as the tight ends ran downfield routes.

The team will practice once more, on Friday morning at 9:30 a.m., before its second scrimmage of fall camp on Saturday.