McCough unfair, misinformed

Ben McGough’s letter titled “CW caters to thoughtless student body” is unfair and misinformed. The Crimson White is first and foremost a student-run university newspaper produced for students of the Capstone. By definition, The CW is concerned primarily with issues facing students on a local level. If you want to read about the unrest in the Middle East and North Africa then reach six inches to either side of the Crimson White stand and pick up a USA Today or similar paper. Do you really think that any fledgling reporters working for The CW are qualified to report and comment on such a complicated issue? Any story on this subject matter would either be shallow and pedantic, grossly underdeveloped, or a re-print of a professional news story.

While I also thought Alex Cohen’s article on Sunday alcohol sales was somewhat immature and read more like a live journal or blog post than a news story, the recent vote directly affects the Tuscaloosa area and by proxy the University and its students. I make a conscious decision to reach for The CW when I want to read about campus news because it’s the only place I can get it. When I want to read about international affairs, I go elsewhere.

Another rather ignorant comment McGough made is that The CW is “selling a product.” I have personally never paid a dime for a copy of The Crimson White. It is a free newspaper. You should complain less and study more, because if you are any indication of the quality of law students this University is producing, we have more serious problems than newspapers.

Ross Owens is a junior majoring in anthropology and German.