PRACTICE REPORT: Defensive starters return to practice

CW / Joe Will Field

James Ogletree, Sports Editor

Alabama kicked off its second full week of fall camp with a Monday evening practice as the sun set over Hackberry Lane. Here are our observations from the team’s ninth of 20 fall camp practices:

Junior linebacker Dylan Moses returned to practice after being spotted in sneakers last week and sitting out of the team’s Saturday scrimmage. Freshman Shane Lee and redshirt sophomore Markail Benton both got reps at second in line due to senior Josh McMillon‘s knee injury.

Junior defensive lineman LaBryan Ray was also back at practice for the first time in fall camp. He was participating in some drills, and since he hasn’t yet participated in five practices, he cannot practice in pads. Redshirt freshman Stephon Wynn Jr. was also not at practice as he recovers from a recent surgery, according to Rivals.

Redshirt junior Miller Forristall, who did not participate in Saturday’s scrimmage as he works back from a foot injury, was seen at the front of the tight end group as they ran routes.

The offensive linemen began with some combo-blocking drills before moving to a full five-man look. Junior graduate transfer Landon Dickerson got first-team reps on both occasions, pairing up with junior right tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. in combo blocking and lining up at right guard in the full set. Sophomore Emil Ekiyor Jr. was at center and freshman Evan Neal was at left guard while presumed first-teamers Chris Owens and Matt Womack stood off to the side.

The first-team dime defense was as expected: Trevon Diggs and Josh Jobe at outside corner, Patrick Surtain II at Star, Xavier McKinney at Money, and Shyheim Carter and Jared Mayden at safety.

Alabama returns to its customary practice time of 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon.