PRACTICE REPORT: Team holds first fall scrimmage

CW / James Benedetto

James Ogletree, Sports Editor

Alabama held its first of two fall scrimmages inside Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Here are our observations from the media viewing period before the scrimmage:

Junior inside linebacker Dylan Moses was with the rest of the ILBs but in tennis shoes and not practicing for the second day in a row. Redshirt sophomore Markail Benton took Moses’ spot next to senior Josh McMillon in individual drills and at the start of 7-on-7 reps. Ale Kaho and Shane Lee were the second pair.

First-team defensive linemen LaBryan Ray and D.J. Dale were again absent. Raekwon Davis, Phidarian Mathis and Tevita Musika were the first three linemen through individual drills. Freshman Justin Eboigbe has been working with the first team in Ray’s absence.

The first-team offensive line appeared to be, from left to right, Alex Leatherwood, Evan Neal, Chris Owens, Emil Ekiyor Jr., Jedrick Wills. Senior Matt Womack was at practice but was not seen participating in any drills during the viewing period. Redshirt junior Deonte Brown was the second-team left guard.

Chadarius Townsend was still getting reps at wide receiver after freshman running back Trey Sander’s season-ending foot injury on Thursday. Townsend switched to running back during the spring to help the group’s depth but has since switched back to WR.

Giles Amos and Miller Forristall were the first pair of tight ends to run routes in passing drills with the quarterbacks.

Check back later with updates from the scrimmage and coach Nick Saban‘s press conference.