Don’t miss the forest for the SGA tree

I sent this column in before the SGA election results were announced last night. The fact is that the results – no matter the victors – cannot be seen as the sole indicator for campus progress.

Waiting and strategizing for the SGA tide to turn away from the predominately white male greek power structure is missing the forest for the trees. Trees of a progressive nature are already growing around campus and need tending to. In time, a tree – a symbol of long-term growth and sustainability – will surely sprout in the SGA as an outcome of these efforts.

Take a moment to look past the SGA and the readily identifiable monuments of the rightly condemned status quo. What you will see is more than promising; it is a fledgling forest of ideas, initiatives and action geared towards the same common goal of unity.

Recently, Greeks for T.I.D.E. garnered positive news coverage for bringing together leaders and members of the greek community to discuss the topic of segregation in greek life. Successful steps from this effort would be instrumental in thrusting this university and its students forward, away from its checkered history.

An ongoing collaboration between socially progressive organizations has been the Progressive Potluck. Leaders and members of similarly minded, but still diverse groups meet over dinner and have a time for each to introduce current, future or potential projects. This serves as a shining example of an informal collaboration that creates bonds without creating divisions.

Called together for the purpose of deciding on a unified plan of action to increase and celebrate diversity on campus, leaders and members of organizations such as NPHC, NAACP, Greeks for T.I.D.E. and others are laying out various opportunities in a series of meetings to accomplish their overarching goals.

A number of organizations have made it a priority to educate rising freshmen about inclusivity, which can leave a lasting impact on future students. The SGA, the Honors College and others are working to prevent the division building that occurs before students even begin their first fall semester. Additionally, the much-needed reforms of First Year Council will open the SGA to a more diverse selection of freshmen.

The Academic Honor Council, which may soon become the more broadly named Honor Council, has a short-term plan to pilot a legitimate honor council in one or two colleges. The council’s long-term vision consists of university-wide honor council with councils operating in each college. This organization also has the chance to organize a public rewrite campaign for the Capstone Creed, which could better represent and promote the values of our campus.

I am certain that I have left out numerous ongoing and planned projects. Frankly, there are too many to mention in just one column. Do not rely on others to promote your good work for campus and do not unintentionally confine your cause by deciding not to reach out. Others are just as driven as you and are willing to help.

If you refuse to buy into this idea of campus unity, that is fine. But, I ask you to not detract from the work of other students or administrators by dismissing their cause and refusing to help. The results can only be beneficial.

The Machine will fall, not by divisive rhetoric and campaigning – though these may provide the necessary sparks – but by unified and well-communicated action across the board.

The SGA election season is now over. Whether your candidates won or lost, it is important not to miss the forest for the trees. There are many promising projects in the works on our campus. It would be a shame if they went unnoticed as a result of the narrow focus on the SGA.

Wesley Vaughn is a junior majoring in public relations and political science. His column runs on Wednesdays.