Triple-Company ballet show premieres at the Bama

Anna Stepchuck spent Tuesday afternoon painting her ballet slippers green and scouring stores for green makeup and enormous false eyelashes. She is a member of the Tuscaloosa Community Dancers and will be performing as the green caterpillar in their production of ‘Alice in Wonderland.’

“The choreography is phenomenal,” she said. “It’s a very fun ballet and easy to follow.”

The production will last less than an hour, which is ideal for families with young children, Stepchuck said.

“It is very child-friendly, but I think everyone of all ages would really enjoy Alice in Wonderland,” she said.

Three different dance companies are teaming up to perform shows at the Bama Theatre this week. The event will feature performances from The Alabama Ballet, Tuscaloosa Community Dancers and the University’s department of theater and dance. The shows will run Wednesday through Friday at 7 p.m.

Presented by the Tuscaloosa Community Dancers, The Alabama Ballet will put on its debut Tuscaloosa performance. Made possible by various grants, they will be presenting “Rooster,” a ballet set to the hits of The Rolling Stones.

The Tuscaloosa Community Dancers will perform “Alice in Wonderland” for the first time since 2005. Local dancer Alden Phillips will play Alice, Mary Katherine Lake will play the White Rabbit and Madison Leavelle, a dance major, will play the Mad Hatter.

The University’s department of dance will preform “Mist Memory,” choreographed by assistant professor of dance Qianping Guo. Guo is a former gold medalist in the 7th France International, the world’s premier ballet competition.

Tickets are $21 for adults, $17 for seniors and $12 for students and children. They can be purchased through the Tuscaloosa Community Dancers’ office at 752-4220.