T-Town toasts to Sunday sales

This Sunday began like any other end to a weekend. I stumbled out of bed, immediately regretting a few of Saturday’s decisions while contemplating Sunday’s usual means of procrastination. Typically, I resort to Facebook, laundry or the NBA, but I sensed another option — freshly purchased alcohol.

12:30 p.m.

I sat down at Wilhagan’s with two friends equally eager to participate in the sanctioned Funday. A waitress came by to take our drink orders. I was nervous.  After all, I was about to help make Tuscaloosa history. I decided on a Bloody Mary; my friends had mimosas.

I looked around and noticed virtually everyone – mostly nonstudents – had a drink. They turned up their glasses as if consecrating some special occasion. As it turns out, they were.

“We’ve had this celebration planned for a week or so,” said Adam Harrington, a graduate student studying biology.  “I’m from Louisiana, so I’ve always had this opportunity.”

Actually, many customers had already experienced the joys of Sunday alcohol sales.

“Coming from Spain, I was shocked to hear about the restrictions on alcohol here,” said Fernando Nunoz, a biology scientist.  “I’m happy Americans have become less uptight.”

I eventually found someone having a new experience.

“I always crave nachos on Sunday,” said Allison Payne, a recent graduate of the University. “Today they come with a healthy dose of Bloody Mary.”

My friends and I left after one drink.

1:30 p.m.

After our Wilhagan’s stop, we decided to eat at FIVE. The atmosphere was great: a cool jazz band, nice crowd and lively bar. I guess I was a little surprised. So was the owner.

“Leading up to today, [restaurant owners] didn’t know what to expect,” said Cris Eddings, co-owner of Chuck’s Fish and FIVE. “But I’m pleased with the turnout.  It’s pretty apparent that people were ready for this.”

He was right. People were winding down from church; couples were trying out brunch dates; students were recovering from the night before.

“This is definitely raising my spirits for the week to come,” said Danielle Castagna, a junior majoring in fashion retail. “Sunday movies have been replaced by mimosas – it’s a great day.”

I left after a tasty breakfast burger and a few beers. Buzzed on Sunday. Small feat for me, big one for Tuscaloosa.

7:10 p.m.

After a break to sober up a bit, I decided to see what nightlife would be like on Sunday. I turned down 4th Street and immediately found a parking space. This was a little disheartening, but my spirits were lifted when I saw the crowd at Coppertop. The joint was jumpin’. Greeted by a $3 pitcher, I moseyed my way toward the pool table when a different game caught my eye – Flip Cup! Donned in color-coordinated jerseys, teams of students were celebrating the evening with competition.

“I love Flip Cup because my team’s kicking a–,” said Justin Austin, a junior majoring in health studies. “There’s nothing not to love about Sunday Funday.”

Chauncey Woodard, an off-duty bouncer at Coppertop, said his day off now has a new element.

“It’s good to finally have a chance to be sociable on Sundays,” Woodard said.  “Flip Cup makes it that much more fun.”

I left Coppertop refreshed and ready for more.

7:50 p.m.

Egan’s offered the liveliest crowd of my night. Students and nonstudents alike jammed to sounds of local band Baak Gwai. People assumed my handy-dandy notebook was a pretentious prop to store girls’ phone numbers. But once I explained my journalistic intentions, I ceased being creepy.

Stacey Leigh, a junior majoring in public relations, probably summed up the evening best.

“I’m just drunk, man,” Leigh said.

By then, she and I had something in common. After another beer, I stumbled toward the band to discover the musicians’ perspective.

“We have people looking for shows on Sunday all the time,” said Adam Pate, bassist for Baak Gwai and band-booker at Egan’s. “Its awesome to be able to give them a place for a show.”

Grateful for the tunes, I left Egan’s in search of cheaper liquor.

8:30 p.m.

I found a vodka tonic at the Bear Trap but not much of a crowd. It’s too bad the sudden cold front halted the rooftop festivities.

“The weather killed us tonight; it was really bad timing,” said Will Bingham, bar manager of Bear Trap. “We’re looking forward to the warmth of football season.”

He was right to have high expectations for the fall. Sunday now offers another day of victory celebrations for fun-loving football fans, not to mention another lucrative day for local establishments.

8:50 p.m.

There was a decent-sized crowd at Gallettes. Here, the notebook scored me shots instead of weird glances. Chris Roberts, a junior majoring in marketing, was kind enough to send me one.

“I like to have a good time every day — Bang Bang!” Roberts said. “When am I supposed to sleep now?”

Sleep?  The idea hadn’t crossed my mind until then.

9:30 p.m.

As I walked the StRaIgHt line to the Office of Student Media, I couldn’t help being grateful. My Sunday was certainly a fun day thanks to the citizens of my favorite college town.

Thank you, voters.