Softball sweeps double header against Florida

James Benedetto, Staff Reporter

Alabama softball took games one and two against Florida on Friday by scores of 3-1 and 6-1, respectively. With the wins, the Crimson Tide put an end to an eight-game winning streak for the Gators.

In game one, freshman Montana Fouts (13-1, 1.00 ERA) dominated in her second start since coming back from injury. The Grayson, Kentucky native, pitched a complete game allowing one run on two hits and struck out five. Fouts did not skip a beat after being out for two weeks as she held Florida hitless from the fourth inning to the seventh inning.

Alabama also got clutch hitting after Florida got on the board in the first inning. Junior Bailey Hemphill continued her dominance at the plate going 1-for-3 with an RBI. Hemphill’s RBI single in the third inning gave Alabama its first and only lead of the game. Freshman Skylar Wallace also had a strong game as she went 1-for-2 with a triple. Before game one, Wallace was hitting .182 in her last five games scoring just one run during that span.

In game two, Alabama’s offense was the story line. Wallace kept it up at the plate as she went 2-for-4 with a solo home run, her fifth of the season. Senior Reagan Dykes was also strong at the plate as she went 2-for-3 with an RBI. With the performance, Dykes ended a five-game hitless streak.

The Crimson Tide also got another stellar pitching performance from newly named SEC pitcher of the week, Sarah Cornell (18-1, 1.81 ERA). The junior from Westbury, New York pitched a complete game allowing one run on two hits and struck out nine.

Alabama will go for the sweep on Saturday, April 20. First pitch for game three is set for 2 p.m.