PRACTICE REPORT: Final tune-ups before second scrimmage

CW / Hannah Saad

James Ogletree, Staff Writer

Most students had the day off on Friday, but Alabama players were at the facility like usual for their final practice before the team’s second scrimmage of the spring. This weekend is the team’s annual coaching clinic, so the view of practice was obscured by hundreds of high school coaches. Here are our observations from the team’s 11th of 15 spring practices:

All the outside linebackers were present including Terrell Lewis, who again watched from the side while donning a black, non-contact jersey. Anfernee Jennings and Eyabi Anoma were the first pair through what looked like a coverage/watching the quarterback drill: the players would quick-step in place, then move in the direction an assistant motioned.

The inside linebackers worked on keeping their hands inside the opponent’s chest, like the OLBs did on Wednesday. They paired up, sprang into their partner’s chest, and then practiced a swim move to simulate getting off the block.

The pass-catchers and quarterbacks were on the far side so we didn’t get a great look at them. Henry Ruggs III was spotted running with Miller Forristall, Slade Bolden with Major Tennison, and freshman John Metchie with Cameron Latu.

The offensive linemen mostly worked one at a time, so there was no insight into what the coaches are thinking as A-Day approaches. The annual spring game is only eight days away.

The team’s second scrimmage takes place tomorrow around 12:30 p.m. CT and coach Nick Saban will address the media afterward.