Low-calorie foods aren’t always healthy

Michaela Hancock, Social Media Editor

One of the most common misconceptions in our society is that skinny and healthy are synonymous. The idea then follows that lower calorie means healthier, but minimal logic would say otherwise.

The body needs calories to survive and perform tasks, so eating or drinking something is always better than starving yourself. For many college students, the struggle of getting out of bed and to class on time is difficult enough without worrying about what to eat. If all you have time for is a Starbucks Frappuccino, it is OK to grab one.

I am also a big believer that the 80/20 rule is a good way to think about feeding yourself. If around 80% of what you eat is healthy, the other 20% can be whatever you want. This helps promote a healthy body and mind by changing the way we think about food. Often telling yourself never to eat something only makes you crave it more. This can lead to either giving in and eating more than you should or unhealthy restriction.

As someone who has struggled with anorexia, I have fallen victim to both. Throughout this battle, I learned to think about food in different ways that I think everyone can benefit from.

First, calories and other individual nutritional measures are not sufficient to determine the healthiness of an individual food. When considering the healthiness of food, you should weigh the nutritional value of what is in your food and the overall balance of what you are eating.

Second, no food will destroy your health if eaten in moderation. Overall health is complicated. It involves an effective balance of eating, exercising and taking care of yourself. Having dessert sometimes will not lower your health anymore than going to the gym once will make you look stronger.

Third, of all the things that can cause guilt, food should not be one of them. Our bodies need food to do all the great things we can, and we should think of it as that fuel. It is a waste of time to feel guilty about what we have already eaten.  

On a similar note, to attack the health value of a particular food based on single nutritional facts is misguided. Many whole grain products have more calories, but they also have more nutritional value than their simple carb counterparts, and some fats are actually good for you.

Likewise, smoothie bowls, particularly ones made with natural ingredients, will always be healthier than bowls filled with dairy-based ice cream and topped with sugar. However, occasional indulging never hurt anyone.

It is also insensitive to assume everyone has the same nutritional needs. Bodies work at varying speeds. Everyone looks different. Some people are more active, and others have specific needs. What is important is getting to know your body and giving it what it needs.

Finally, it is never OK to shame someone else for what they look like. You never know what they are going through or what their struggles are. Beyond that, there is no one ideal standard of beauty.

At the end of the day, what really matters is loving your body, no matter what it looks like. From there, it is more natural to want to take care of it.