Men’s golf places ninth at invitational

Photo courtesy of Alabama Athletics

Carey Reeder, Contributing Writer

The No. 21 ranked Alabama men’s golf team placed ninth overall at the 2019 John Hayt Invitational on Monday. Alabama posted a total team score of 902 (294-295-313) in the two day, 54-hole event at the 6,976-yard Sawgrass Country Club.

Sophomore Wilson Furr earned his second top-10 finish of the season and the fifth of his career to lead the Crimson Tide, finishing sixth overall with a 2-over par 218 (70-70-78). Furr knocked in 12 birdies that ranked seventh among all individuals. It was Furr’s best finish of the season and the second-best tournament finish in his career after finishing third at the 2018 NCAA Regional.

“The reason I love coming here and playing at Sawgrass Country Club is because it’s a great identifier to where your golf game is,” Alabama head coach Jay Seawell said in a press release. “It shows you what things you’re doing well but it also exposes areas you need to improve, so for that reason this week was very critical and important to our development as a team as we get ready for the championship season. I felt our guys battled hard. I do think we need to get tougher so we can handle those situations better, but all in all I think this week will help in our development as we get ready for the postseason.”

Junior Josh Sedeno finished 29th overall with a 226 (73-72-78) and freshman Frankie Capan III tied for 34th overall with a 228 (77-75-76) to put three Alabama golfers in the top-35 finishers.

Freshman Prescott Butler carded a 230 (74-78-78) to earn 49th overall. Sophomore Jake DeZoort rounded out the Crimson Tide golfers in 79th with a 240 (79-80-81).

Tennessee combined for a team score of 875 to win the John Hayt Invitational by 12 strokes. No. 22 Louisville and North Carolina both finished tied for second with an 888 team score. No. 17 ranked and tournament host North Florida and North Carolina State each posted a team score of 889 to tie for fourth overall.

The Crimson Tide will be back on the course at the Shoal Creek Invitational in Birmingham on April 15-16.