Expansion a growing problem?

After meeting his goal of increasing Alabama’s enrollment to 28,000 students in 2009 — four years ahead of schedule — President Robert Witt said it was possible that the school would finish ahead of schedule again after his most recent plan to increase enrollment.

Last November, Witt announced his hopes of increasing the University’s enrollment to 35,000 students by the year 2020.

“I think it’s possible to achieve that goal in less than 10 years,” Witt said.

Witt said he felt the amount of additional growth could be accomplished without in any way compromising quality.

“In fact, I anticipate that quality will continue to go up over that period of time,” he said.  “I felt that that number of additional students could be accommodated in a manner that, thanks to the efforts of Student Affairs and Academic Affairs to maintain the positive aspects of the environment here, we could grow to 35,000 without compromising the quality of the Alabama experience.”

Witt said that because he doesn’t want to compromise the University’s current environment, he will continue to carefully monitor the quality of student life.

“On a very regular basis, as recently as this morning, I met with prospective students and their parents,” he said. “I usually make the same comment of, ‘Although I’m not going to be with you all day, I’m willing to bet you lunch that if you’re standing on the campus somewhere with your schedule trying to figure out where the next building is that you’re going to, and you’re looking like you’re lost, someone is going to come up to you and volunteer to help you find where you’re going, because this is such a friendly, warm and open campus.’”

Johnathon Justice, who was a junior in 2009, when the University’s enrollment goal was last met, said much has changed on campus since his freshman year.

“The University offers a lot more on-campus housing options and has more dining halls for students to eat at as well,” Justice said. “For example, there was no Lakeside when I first started here. The whole Riverside complex wasn’t here either. The influx of students coming to UA has really led to an increase in the different types of buildings on-campus.”

In addition to the new buildings, Justice said general student living has changed as well.

“When I first started here, you could make copies and print for free,” he said. “I feel like there was less competition when there were fewer students enrolled here. Nowadays, areas on-campus are filling up so quickly, especially student housing. I noticed that quite a few of my senior friends did not get on-campus housing because demand was so high.

“Despite all that, I feel like the enrollment will lead to good things for UA, ranging from more diverse students to a better faculty. I’m excited to watch the school transform.”