PRACTICE REPORT: Linebacker returns to practice

CW / Hannah Saad

James Ogletree, Staff Writer

After a chilly start to the day, the weather could not have been better for Alabama’s third football practice of the spring. Here are our observations from the media viewing period:

Sophomore inside linebacker Ale Kaho was at practice for the first time this spring. When asked about Kaho’s absence from the team’s first practice on March 8, head coach Nick Saban said Kaho had “some issues he’s dealing with.” Kaho joined early enrollee Shane Lee in the third pair of inside linebackers. Dylan Moses and Joshua McMillon were the first pair and Markail Benton and Jaylen Moody were the second.

The cornerbacks were organized into pairs, with one acting as a wide receiver for the other to cover as a pass was thrown downfield. The first three pairs were Trevon Diggs and Patrick Surtain II, Jalyn Armour-Davis and Nigel Knott, and Josh Jobe and early enrollee Scooby Carter.

Elsewhere in the secondary, Shyheim Carter continued to work with the safeties in a black, non-contact jersey. Saban said Carter will be limited throughout the spring as he recovers from sports hernia surgery.

New defensive line coach Brian Baker barked at the D-linemen to make tight, crisp turns around a blocking dummy. Raekwon Davis led the group through the drills. He was followed, in order, by LaBryan Ray, Phidarian Mathis, Tevita Musika, Christian Barmore and Stephon Wynn Jr.

Alumni Shaun Dion Hamilton, Christian Miller and Jamey Mosley watched the practice from the sideline.