Tuscaloosa is a great location for a college town

Sabrina Snowberger, Staff Columnist

With spring break coming up, people all over campus have been discussing their getaway plans. Overhearing and participating in these kinds of conversations has made me realize just how many great spring break travel spots are conveniently located near Tuscaloosa. Even if you are staying in town or visiting family over this break, be sure to consider one of these spots for your next trip out of town.

Some of the most beautiful, warm, sunny white sand beaches are an easy day’s drive from Tuscaloosa. Destin, Panama City Beach and Gulf Shores are just a few of the awesome choices. If the beach isn’t your thing and you’re more interested in city life, you can easily drive to Birmingham for a day trip for some shopping at The Galleria or The Summit. If you have the travel itch and want to head farther away, drive to Atlanta to check out some cool aquatic life at the aquarium, try some international sodas at the World of Coca-Cola, or enjoy a classic hotdog at The Varsity.

Love country music? Nashville is just a short drive away. Grab some two-for-one cowboy boots and hit Broadway to listen to some live music and grab a drink. If you’re hungry after, you can enjoy some delicious Nashville Hot Chicken. If listening to music in bars with your friends doesn’t sound appealing, Nashville has beautiful murals, interesting museums and delicious treats to check out.

If you’re looking to stay in Alabama, Birmingham isn’t the only place to get away from campus and explore. If you’re a history buff, head to Montgomery. There are incredible museums that can immerse you in the state’s tumultuous Civil Rights movement. After you’ve checked out the museums, grab inexpensive tickets to see the city’s baseball team, the Biscuits.

Already an expert in Alabama’s Civil Rights past? New Orleans, one of the oldest cities in the United States, is not much further from T-Town than Montgomery. Here, you can have the most amazing Cajun and Creole food. Don’t forget to grab beignets for dessert! You can wander the French Quarter and check out the beautiful architecture or take the Streetcar to the Garden District. There are cemeteries, museums, parks and tours galore. Once you’ve explored, grab your friends (who are 21 and over, of course) and hit Bourbon Street to try all the yummy mixed drinks. Be careful, they’re strong!

All of these destinations are within close proximity to our beloved college town, but there’s also lots to do in Tuscaloosa. There are plenty of unique restaurants and fun bars if that’s your cup of tea, but if not, head to Lake Lurleen State Park for a lake day or jog on the Riverwalk. Whether you stay in town or head elsewhere, there’s no argument that Tuscaloosa is in the heart of the South, surrounded by new and interesting places to explore!