Time to fight back, show you care

Just six days from now, students here at the Capstone will determine whether or not they want to lay a foundation. Students will have a chance to form a solid ground, taking the first steps towards a truly unified UA community.

As you may have figured, I’m referring to the upcoming SGA elections. I know many of my fellow students do not believe these elections have any bearing on their UA career. I have some news for those doubters. It has a lot to do with your UA career.

The Capstone Creed is a pledge made by each incoming freshman class. The creed reads as follows: “As a member of the University of Alabama community, I will pursue knowledge; act with fairness, honesty, and respect; foster individual and civic responsibility; and strive for excellence.” This creed embodies the ideals of people who see a bright future for their alma mater, state and nation.

Unfortunately, not all members of the UA community accept this creed. A secret group has formed a tightly knit, highly efficient machine, whose influence is far reaching on our campus and holds beliefs contrary to the ideals of the creed. Unwarranted entitlement, deception and exclusion are among the hallmarks of this group. A free and open community is inherently opposed to secret societies and their proceedings.

The new ban on chalking and stickers, which directly affects grassroots candidates running for SGA offices, and the lack of debates sponsored by affiliated organizations are examples of the group’s reach. Sure, they don’t want challenge; who can rationally argue for exclusion and elitism?

The Capstone has made great strides in loosening the grasps of control this group wields. In these SGA elections, each and every student has a chance to continue freeing itself from these grasps of exclusion and injustice. The control the so-called “machine” holds has done nothing but tarnish our great flagship University and hold back its aspiring students.

We simply cannot afford to throw this opportunity away or lessen the implications of these elections.

Given the economic perils of the day, we need to take seriously every opportunity to have our concerns and voices heard. Many of our friends and classmates here at the University struggle and fight everyday just to maintain their place in the UA community. We cannot let their concerns fall on ears that serve a self-nominated few on campus.

We need to have these conversations about the future of this university. The future of this university has everything to do with our futures, and the legacy we leave will follow us step by step no matter how far we roam from Tuscaloosa.

Talk with your friends and classmates about these upcoming elections. And continue the conversations after March 8. Go to the debates, contact candidates and take an active role in the conversation. It’s your future, it’s your school.

Years from now, looking at your diploma on the wall, you will remember the fun times and the dreams that education enabled you to fulfill. Sure, that will feel great.

Think how you will feel knowing you were part of making your alma mater an even better place for your children and your friends’ children. Think of the legacy you can leave, and how it will help those who follow us at The Capstone fulfill their greatest dreams.

Free yourself from apathy, as apathy is a great boon to the establishment. Our first president and founding father George Washington said, “Liberty, when it takes root, is a plant of rapid growth.”

Take the liberty to discuss the issues we face as a UA community; do not let the problems be covered up by those who choose to overlook them and want them hidden. The conversations will grow, and can only lead us to a better university.

Each and every one of us is a member of this community and each of our opinions has true value. Do not let your voice and opinions be quelled. Do not let anyone tell you that your vote does not matter, and that we must accept the status quo.

The road that leads to a better UA community starts with you. Now, it is in your power to begin the journey.

John Anselmo is a senior majoring in economics. His column runs biweekly on Wednesdays.