Women’s basketball defeats Ole Miss in final home game

By Evan Pilat

RJ Nealon, Staff Writer

In the final home game of the season, Alabama women’s basketball defeated Ole Miss in a low scoring affair, 46-43. With the win, the Crimson Tide improves to 13-15 (5-10 SEC), while the Rebels fell to 9-20 (3-12 SEC).

Junior Cierra Johnson led the Crimson Tide with 14 points, 14 rebounds and two assists. Following her, was sophomore Jasmine Walker tallying 13 points, 13 rebounds and three assists. Sophomore Ariyah Copeland had 10 points. It was Walker’s sixth double-double of her career and Johnson’s second consecutive double-double.

In the first quarter, both teams struggled to make shots. Copeland scored all of Alabama’s points in the quarter while Walker, senior Shaquera Wade and freshman Megan Abrams were all held scoreless. The Rebels took a 10-4 lead into the second half.

Ole Miss went on a 2:05-minute scoring drought and with 3:49 left in the second quarter, the Rebels went 1-for-10 before making a shot. Despite its struggles, Ole Miss took the 22-16 lead into halftime.

Throughout the second half, Alabama gained the lead, and Ole Miss never was able to cut into it. The Crimson Tide led 36-33 heading into the fourth quarter.

As the Rebels tried to rally back with minutes remaining in the contest, it was unable to do so.

Alabama struggled shooting throughout the game, finishing 20-for-56 (35 percent) from the field, while Ole Miss shot 14-of-57 for 24 percent. The Crimson Tide out rebounded the Rebels 46-41 and scored 24 of its 46 points inside the paint.

Alabama returns to action on Sunday, March 3rd when the team travels to Columbia, Missouri to take on Missouri in the season finale. Tip-off is slated for 2 p.m CT.