Women’s lacrosse looks to send lone senior off

CW%2F+Hannah+Saad+

CW/ Hannah Saad

Victoria Morris, contributing writer

The UA women’s lacrosse club team is preparing to play its two biggest rivals on senior night. On March 23, the Crimson Tide will host Kennesaw State University and Auburn University. In addition, the organization will honor the only senior, economics major Hailey Greene.

For almost a year now, she has been the team’s vice president. In this role, she acts as an intermediary between the players and coach, along with her fellow officers.

Greene joined the team in the fall of her freshman year but took a break from the sport her sophomore year to focus on academics. She then rejoined the team as a junior and is now in the home stretch of her senior year.

Being the lone senior and the vice president, Greene is one of the team’s biggest leaders. One way she shows her leadership is by getting the new members accustomed to the team.

“She is extremely welcoming to all new players,” sophomore nursing student Summer Ryder said. “It was very quick and easy to become a part of the family.”

This year’s team has almost double the number of new members than returners from last year’s team. Twenty-one team members are underclassmen.

Treasurer of the team and sophomore psychology and political science major Kelsey Curl said Greene is always positive toward the younger girls to encourage positive attitudes throughout the team.

Both Curl and Ryder describe Greene as an encouraging, positive and selfless leader.

“Hailey [Greene] is so much fun to on the team, and we will all miss her hard work and positivity next year,” Curl said.

Even though March 23 will be senior night, the team has not lost focus of its goal to win both games that day.

Games against Kennesaw have always been a tough, and the team considers playing Auburn to be its own Iron Bowl, so “it is always a fun game to play and win,” Greene said.

Alabama has won nine of the ten games this semester, claiming victories against schools such as Mississippi State, Florida State, Tennessee, South Florida, Ole Miss and Clemson. The only loss came against Georgia Tech.

“It would be good for us to continue to do well to show people that we are serious and want to win and be the best,” Greene said. “We want people to be talking about us, not just in our division, but around the country.”

In preparation, the team practices three times a week and has former UA wide receiver Mike McCoy train them on speed and agility.

Following senior night, the Crimson Tide will have one more game in March and the Southeastern Women’s Lacrosse League Championship Games starting in April.

Last season, the team lost in the first round of the league championship. This season, team president and civil and environmental engineering major Madison Murphy sets higher goals, which is to make it to second round of the league championship.

Greene adds to the team’s season goals and said she wants this year’s team to be the first Alabama women’s lacrosse club team to make it to nationals.

“We want to make a statement not just to the other teams in our league, but as well to the University,” she said. “We want to be recognized for being the best.”