Honors College not purposefully discriminative

In recent weeks, the UA Honors College has received criticism from this publication, much of which I see as unwarranted. Qualifications to enroll in the Honors College are clear, and academic achievement is the only measure by which students are judged. All students who meet the minimum requirements for admission are admitted without a bias of any sort.

The Honors College was founded in an effort to engage the best and brightest on the UA campus, and initiative is part of what makes Honors students stand out from their peers.

If a racial discrepancy exists within the college it is because of a lack of interest in participation by that group, not discrimination.

The Honors College should not have to chase students around, begging them to enroll. It is an honor to be in the college and should remain that way.

As a Native American student within the college, I have experienced only the best of what the Honors College has to offer: small, intellectually-challenging classes, the best professors on campus and the opportunity to meet many different students of varying backgrounds.

I have found that in most cases my classes within the college are more diverse than those with regular enrollment and that the small number of students allows my classmates and me to forge friendships with new people who we might not have normally taken the time to know.

I encourage anyone who qualifies for enrollment in the college to take advantage of all of the opportunities it has for you and know that, contrary to what this paper seems to believe, we really are an opening and welcoming environment. You will be accepted and embraced here as I have been.

In short, maybe The Crimson White should focus more on the development of real journalism endeavors instead of attacking one of the most open and accepting colleges on the UA campus.

Sydney Branch is a sophomore majoring in journalism and economics.