Education conference comes to Ferg

The Student Alabama Education Association will host its Annual Spring Conference, themed “Unmask the Knowledge…TEACH,” this weekend in Tuscaloosa.

The Conference, scheduled Friday through Sunday, will include events at the Ferguson Center, a day of community service at a local elementary school and professional access workshops for all members of SAEA, according to a press release. The purpose of the SAEA is to give students professional development opportunities and promote teacher-education training while implementing community service.

At the conference, members of the SAEA will engage in multiple activities and workshops that aim to educate them for a career in education while also benefiting the outside community.

“The ‘Outreach to Teach’ program is an opportunity for future teachers to give back to the faculty, staff and children in an area school,” said Yolandia Eubanks, the University’s SAEA advisor. “The SAEA members have the opportunity to impact the learning environment of all of the children that attend the school selected. Oak Hill School was the school selected for the project here in Tuscaloosa.”

Within the Conference, SAEA dedicates a day to the “Outreach to Teach” program where they select a local school and give back by decorating bulletin boards, painting pictures, working on the landscape and anything else the teachers need help with, the press release stated.

“We are so important because there are people who can’t speak for themselves and we stand in and speak for them,” said Sandra Jackson, the student programs director of AEA. “It is important to have someone to advocate for educators. We fight for pay raises, low-cost health insurance, smaller class sizes and any other concerns in regards to educators. Basically we work so educators aren’t taken advantage of.”

While the AEA focuses on advocating for teachers, they also concentrate on encouraging future teachers and assisting them to achieve their goals.

“Our students are actively engaged. They are concerned about education and they care about their future students,” Jackson said. “They believe all students can learn and they can’t wait to get into the classroom to prove that theory. We aim to see that happen.”

Although the Spring Conference will be focused on educating future teachers, the phrase “all work and no play” will not apply. After holding officer nominations, Friday evening will be accompanied with a masquerade ball to go along with the theme of the conference for all SAEA members.

“The masquerade is a really great way for members to mingle with the other chapters throughout the state,” said Venus Pressley, a student member of SAEA. “Luckily, the ball is for members only so we don’t have to worry about bringing a date.”

There is no fee to attend the Spring Conference; however, it is only open to members of the SAEA who have officially registered before the conference begins, according to the AEA website.