Alabama wins fourth straight with win against Stetson

RJ Nealon, Staff Writer

Alabama women’s basketball defeated Stetson 59-47 to win its fourth straight game and finish off a three-game home stand Tuesday night.

“That was one of those grinders, and we were really fortunate to grind it out,” Alabama coach Kristy Curry said. “We knew exactly how they were going to play. We knew that they were going to pack it in on us, and we executed our game plan. We were able to control the tempo for the most part, and we made enough plays to put ourselves in a position to win.”

Leading the Crimson Tide was senior Shaquera Wade with 14 points, seven rebounds, and two assists. Following her was freshman De’Sha Benjamin with 13 points, nine rebounds, and one assist. Junior Cierra Johnson recorded 10 points, six rebounds, and six assists. Junior Jasmine Walker finished with nine points.

In the first quarter, both teams exchanged three-pointers. Stetson’s Addi Walters made two quick threes to set the tone, and Alabama responded scoring three of its own. The Crimson Tide lead 18-9 heading into the second quarter. During the second quarter, Alabama shot 3-of-15 for 20 percent from the field and Stetson shot 4-of-11 from the field for 36 percent.

The Crimson Tide led at halftime 30-18.

Stetson cut into Alabama’s lead early in the third quarter. However, Wade showed her leadership and started to step up for the young Crimson Tide team. Senior Taylor Berry hit a three with 26 seconds left to give Alabama the 46-34 advantage heading into the fourth.

Both teams exchanged shots from beyond the arc in the fourth, and the Hatters went on a 6-0 run to cut Alabama’s lead to 53-47 with 2:32 remaining. The Crimson Tide held on to secure the victory.

Alabama finished the game 18-of-52 and 34 percent from the field while Stetson finished 19-of-62 and 30 percent from the field. The Crimson Tide out-rebounded the Hatters 46-36. Alabama made 73 percent of its free throws.

With the win, Alabama improves to 5-1 while Stetson falls to 0-6 on the season.

The Crimson Tide is back in action Dec. 1 where it takes on Tulsa at the Arizona State Classic in Tempe, Ariz. Tipoff is slated for 4:30 p.m. CT.