Women’s basketball claims road win over SMU

CW/ Evan Pilat

RJ Nealon, Staff Writer

The Alabama women’s basketball team won its second game of the season to finish a two-game road stretch in an overtime thriller against SMU.

Leading the Crimson Tide was junior Jasmine Walker recording her third consecutive double-double with 10 points, 10 rebounds, one assist and two steals. Following her was freshman Allie Craig Cruce and sophomore Ariyah Copeland with nine points apiece. Nine Alabama players scored in the game.

In the first quarter, the Crimson Tide started slow, shooting 4-for-14 from the field and trailing 13-9. In the second quarter, the Crimson Tide went on a 9-0 run to have the advantage 28-24 at halftime. Throughout the second half, Alabama had its largest lead of the night 46-34, just before the Mustangs stepped up on defense in the fourth quarter. In the final 10 minutes, SMU held Alabama to only eight points.

The two teams were tied 55-55 heading into overtime.

Senior Shaquera Wade scored five straight points in overtime with 2:35 remaining to take the lead over the Mustangs, Alabama won 62-61. Wade finished with eight points.

Alabama shot 22-for-63 and 34 percent from the field, while SMU shot 19-for-57 and 33 percent from the field. The Crimson Tide outrebounded the Mustangs 47-39 and finished 59 percent of its free throws.

With the win, Alabama improves to (2-1) on the season, while SMU falls to (2-1).

The Crimson Tide is back in action starting a three-game home stretch against Clemson Nov. 19 at 7 p.m. CT inside Coleman Coliseum.