Women’s basketball signs two guards to 2019 class

By+Evan+Pilat+

By Evan Pilat

RJ Nealon, Staff Reporter

The Alabama women’s basketball team signed two players during the National Letter of Intent early signing period for the 2019 class. The duo is made up of all-state performers Mystique Womack from Marlin, Texas and Destiny Rice out of Shreveport, Louisiana.

Womack, a 5-foot-8 guard, had an outstanding junior season for Martin High School. She averaged 28 points, six rebounds, five assists, and five steals as she helped lead the Lady Bulldogs to a 2018 3A State Championship game.

“Mystique is an athletic guard who can score at the rim, mid-range and shoot the deep ball,” said Curry in a press release. “She has the ability to really get up and guard the ball and disrupt passing lanes defensively. Her best basketball is ahead of her, and she will be in a great position to continue to develop in our system.”

Womack is ranked 30th overall as a guard according to espnW HoopGurlz. She also played for the Hoop Queens Elite AAU team.

Rice, a 5-foot-9 guard for North Caddo Magnet High School, is ranked 79th overall and 20th in her position in the espnW HoopGirlz top 100. During her junior year, she averaged a double-double with 26 points and 11 rebounds. Rice helped lead the Lady Rebels to its second state championship in three years.

She helped lead the Tennessee Starz Elite Mavericks to the 2018 MAYB National Championship.

“Destiny is a physical guard with a scorer’s mentality,” said Curry. “She has been well-coached on every level. Destiny will bring a winner’s mindset to our program and provide depth in our backcourt. One of the things that has always impressed me the most is how much she loves to be in the gym working on her game.”

The final National Letter of Intent signing day in the early period is Nov. 21, 2018. The regular signing period begins on April 17 and runs through May 15, 2019.