Jeudy learns from former Heisman winner

CW/ Grant Nicholls

James Ogletree, Sports Writer

The connection between Tua Tagovailoa and Jerry Jeudy has elicited countless oohs and ahhs this season, as the former has added to his Heisman Trophy campaign and the latter has remained near the top of the national rankings in yards per catch.

Give Tagovailoa plenty of credit for hitting the receiver in stride, but Jeudy also deserves his fair share for affording his quarterback so many wide-open looks, as does the offensive line for allowing Tagovailoa the time to find him.

Another less-publicized facet of the offense’s production, however, has been Jeudy’s ankle-breaking juke moves, which he said he picked up from a former Heisman winner in their junior days: Lamar Jackson.

“He hit me with one of those moves before, and ever since then, I took it from him and started adding it to my game,” Jeudy said. “It was on the street, like a small little street. If you’re on the grass, you’re going to get hit. If you’re on concrete, they’re not going to hit you. So it’s a real small space. You having a small space helps you out with knowing how to juke and stuff.”

Jeudy has finally transferred those skills to the grass in his first season as a starter for the top-ranked Crimson Tide. One play in particular, a 29-yard catch-and-run late in the first half against LSU, has gained more notoriety than the rest due to a video of an awed fan using several expletives to humorously analyze the play.

The sophomore receiver said of all the moves he’s executed opposing defenders this season, he’s most proud of that one – or rather, those three on the same play.

“If [the LSU linebacker giving chase] would have connected though, he probably would have knocked my head off,” Jeudy said. “I just saw him last minute, stepped back, and he blew it.”

Junior running back Josh Jacobs said Jeudy’s elusiveness ranks in the top three on the team alongside freshman receiver Jaylen Waddle and sophomore running back Najee Harris.

“He’s probably one of the most elusive in the nation right now, if you were to rate them,” Jacobs said. “It’s always special to see what he does with the ball in his hands.”

Jacobs was hesitant to place himself in that company, but Jeudy said Waddle’s and Jacobs’ jukes are in the same class as his own.

Alabama’s defenders are starting to catch on to Jeudy’s tricks in practice, the receiver said, so he occasionally mixes it up and jets past them when they’re expecting a juke.

Sophomore linebacker Dylan Moses said he uses a specific strategy for tackling ball carriers as shifty as Jeudy. As a former running back, he has insight into offensive players’ thoughts that other defenders don’t have.

“The challenge is you basically know where you’re going to go, but he doesn’t know where he’s going to go yet,” Moses said. “He’s trying to see what move you’re going to make by the time you get to him, so when you make your move, then he’ll make his move. … So my thing is you got to close space and not give him enough time to think.”

To put it simply, not many receivers in college football can torment defenders in as many ways as Jeudy can. His teammates, grateful they only have to go against him in practice, just shake their heads.

“We see it at practice,” Jacobs said. “So when I see him start up, I’m already knowing what he’s about to do, so when he does it, I’m like, ‘Man.’”