Hot Topics tackles social media

Student Affairs sponsored their first Hot Topics of the semester Tuesday night at the Ferguson Center Game room. The event focused on social media versus real life.

“The topic is so relevant to students because there are so many that are involved with Facebook, MySpace and Twitter,” said Markus Harris, a senior majoring in African American Studies and moderator for the discussion. “So social media is particularly relevant right now and I think tonight’s discussion went particularly well because of the relevance. People feel like they have a stake in social media so they want to voice their opinion.”

The discussion started out with why people use social media. A YouTube video presenting basic facts and information about social media was shown. There were facts printed on slips of paper that were distributed throughout the game room. According to the video, social media has contributed to universities ceasing in distributing e-mail accounts and passing out gadgets such as iPads instead.

Harris informed the audience that there are 550 million people that use Facebook. That is one out of 12 people worldwide.

Audience members provided their thoughts on other points brought up during the discussion. Topics included how social media can affect job searches, online identities vs. offline relationships, false reality and deception, identity theft and online privacy.

“I definitely think privacy issues was a huge topic,” Lizzie Yarbrough, graduate assistant in student affairs at the Ferg, said. “And, I think our capitalist society moving into social media and how people or brands or corporate American is finding you via what you’re willing to put out on the Internet.”

An informational packet provided by Student Affairs complete with excerpts gathered by Raymond Tay stated positive and negative effects of social media. For instance, when the earthquake in Haiti happened social media was helpful in reporting what was happening and what type of help was needed.

The potential formation of psychological and medical syndromes is a listed negative effect of social media.

Dara Arbuthnot, programming assistant at the Ferg, said she was pleased with the Hot Topics discussion.

“I think the outcome was good,” Arbuthnot said. “The conversation was very good and it was good having everyone talk and give their input. We always want for there to be a better turnout, but we think that it still went really well because of the topics that were talked about. Hopefully, next time we can have more people come out.”

The next Hot Topics discussion will be held on March 8 and will focus on Sexism.