Board of Trustees to consider new house for Sigma Chi

Construction of a new fraternity house is up for consideration at The University of Alabama Board of Trustees System meeting Feb. 3 and 4 in Birmigham.

“Administrators at the University of Alabama are looking at areas where expansion and new construction are necessary to meet the continued growth of the student body,” said Kellee Reinhart, vice chancellor for system relations for the University of Alabama System.

The Board will consider a new house for the Sigma Chi fraternity. The fraternity’s eligibility was based on the number of alumni, grade point average, current accommodations and service projects completed.

According to documents, the chapter house will house a total of 36 individual rooms with semi-private baths, a social room, chapter room, laundry area, formal reception area, television room, kitchen, study area, locker hallway, dining area and housemother suite for a total of 25,000 square feet.

The house will be located on University Boulevard and 2nd Avenue East of the Phi Delta Theta house and will cost about $6,000,000.

Another project the Board is considering is the construction and renovation of sorority houses. Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Delta Delta and Delta Gamma are receiving new chapter houses behind the President’s Mansion where the University of Alabama Police Department and New Hall are currently located. Alpha Omicron Pi and Alpha Gamma Delta will be receiving renovations on their current lot. The costs of the renovations and construction range from $360,000 to about $12,000,000.

North Bluff Residential Community will be another item considered by the board Thursday. The new addition to the University’s on-campus housing will cost nearly $60,000,000 and will be located adjacent to the intersection of Old Hackberry Road and Jack Warner Parkway.

The building will consist of seven stories housing 971 new beds. Residents will have access to the CrimsonRide. The building will include a classroom space, game room, living room, community kitchen and a laundry room will be centrally located accompanied by a seating area.

These projects will be presented to better meet students’ needs such as classroom, athletic and social, Reinhart said.

• New roadway constructed behind the President’s Mansion to facilitate the development of Magnolia Drive, proposed at $3,000,000
  • Indoor Tennis Stadium proposed at $6,000,000