Tide swims in different direction

Based on each Crimson Tide swim team’s meet results, one may think that there is no way they can be on the same team. They have the same coach, swim at the same facility and go to the same meets throughout the season, but that is where their similarities end.

The No. 16 men’s team will be entering its next meet with an impressive undefeated record of 7 wins and 0 losses, including a season-opening 133-110 victory over in-state rival and current No. 3 Auburn. The men have also beaten teams such as No. 21 LSU, No. 28 Kentucky and now No. 20 Florida State.

On the other hand, the women enter their next meet with a record of 0 wins and 7 losses.

So what has been behind the men’s success this season? Senior Denes Zubcsek said he believes this year’s team has been more united than teams in the past years. “We all have the same goal,” he said.

The men’s team has made sure to not lose track of their season goals despite their success this season.

“We think of every meet as a new meet,” Zubcsek said. “We take it a meet at a time. We don’t think about how many wins or losses we have.”

Even though the numbers do not seem good on the women’s side, the quality of competition should be equally considered. The women have had close losses to No. 10 Tennessee and now No. 26 Florida State. Despite the women’s struggles, freshman diver Paige McCleary still takes pride in the men’s success.

“It fuels a fire under us,” McCleary said. “It makes us want to be successful.”

McCleary also acknowledged that the team’s record does enter their minds at times.

“Divers [factor] into scoring,” McCleary said. “It makes us want to score more.”

After a disappointing start, one could expect to see a change in how the women came out and swam. According to McCleary, they would be right.

“After the first couple meets, I think our drive changed,” McCleary said. “I think our drive is a little more now. We want to score more.”

Despite the extreme difference in record, head coach Eric McIlquham does not seem to be fazed at all.

“Every meet is against a top-25 team,” McIlquham said. “We’re swimming well against our opponents, but our sport is based on time, not wins and losses.”

McIlquham also emphasized how, despite the sub-par performance by the women’s team, they will be sticking to the same approach to every meet.

“There is going to be no different approach,” McIlquham said. “Each hand is different. Our focus is on end of the year.”