SENIOR COLUMN: Don’t worry about labels of prestige

My name is Robert Pendley. I am a third-year law student graduating in May. I graduated from undergrad at Alabama in 2015. I have been at the Capstone for seven years. I was not a fraternity freshman pledge. I was not a University Fellow. I was not in the Machine. I was not in Argentum. I was not a Premier Award winner. I was not a student researcher. I was not a Jason. I was not a Dean Scholar at the law school. I was not on Alabama Law Review. I was not a finalist in the law school’s Campbell Moot Court competition. I was not a lot of things.

To be honest, at the time, finding out that I was not going to be each one of these distinctions and honors was a real blow to my sense of self-worth. It sucks to feel supported to try and achieve these things, seeing people achieve these things, and then realize that you won’t. It sucks being jealous of achievement. It sucks not being a part of “cool” things.

However, one thing that I know for sure is that the labels, prestige and “cool” things that the University community values do not matter in the end. The one label that truly matters is “student.” First and foremost, being a part of The University of Alabama means being a student. We are here to form or to discover our psyche and being. We are here to be molded; to be shaped. To be young professionals. To be entrepreneurs. To be advocates. To be activists. To be humans. 

All too often, and I was guilty of this too, we tend to get caught up in “changing the world” while here at the Capstone when what truly matters is that we learn. We gain the tools to be able to enter the real world with a true sense of purpose and belonging. Only then, do we hope that we have the tools to more effectively change our world.

To the University community: don’t get caught up in the labels of prestige. Get caught up in learning who you are and what you have to offer to humanity once your time at the Capstone finally comes to an end. I learned. I laughed. I experienced. I witnessed. I loved. I befriended. I lost. I won. I tried. I did. I was. Roll Tide!

Robert Pendley is a third-year, graduating law student.