International artist to speak at Gorgas

As part of the Faculty-in-Residence Series, the Honors College and Housing and Residential Communities will host internationally known printing press artist Amos Paul Kennedy Jr.

Kennedy will conduct a print workshop this afternoon from 1:30-3:30 in 206 Woods Hall and then lead a discussion in Room 205 of Amelia Gayle Gorgas Library tonight at 6. Both the workshop and discussion are free to attend, and all those interested are encouraged to come.

Despite his success, Kennedy would rather be referred to as a “humble negro painter” who found his calling making chipboard posters that he can sell inexpensively so that all who wish to are able to afford his art. He left his job as a computer programmer to work in this lost art of letterpress printing and bookmaking in Gordo, Ala., and produce his antique-style posters.

Kennedy’s art generally features social, political and racial messages as the subjects of his posters and often uses quotes from famous activists such as Sojourner Truth and Rosa Parks.

Now a three-year fellowship endowed professor at Longwood University in Virginia, Kennedy also travels to conduct workshops and is the author of several books. He has conducted printing workshops across the United States as well as overseas.