Alabama secures best start since 2002

Stephen Alvarez

Alabama scored two runs in the third inning, and never looked back, defeating Samford 13-3. The win is the eighth of the year for Alabama, tying its best start since 2002. 

“It’s always great to get a road win, especially against a good Samford team,” Alabama coach Brad Bohannon said in a press release. “We didn’t play our best baseball, but I’m glad we did enough to come out on top in this one.” 

Sophomore John Trousdale started the third inning with a single up the middle. He moved over to third after third baseman Cobie Vance was hit by a pitch and a throwing error by the Bulldog first baseman. First baseman Hunter Alexander walked, scoring the first run of the game. Chandler Taylor later hit a sac fly to center field to put the Crimson Tide up 2-0. 

Alabama added four more runs in the top of the fifth. Second baseman Chandler Avant came up with the big hit, singling to left field, driving in two runs. 

Heading to the top of the ninth, Alabama led 7-4. It was able to score six runs in the frame, all with two outs. Taylor hit his second home run of the game, he hit his first one in the seventh inning. Cody Henry also tripled with bases loaded, clearing the bases. 

Taylor finished 2-for-3 with two home runs and four RBIs. Avant and outfielder Keith Holcombe also finished with two hits. Holcombe has recorded a hit in every game he’s played in this season.

Left-hander Garret Rukes started his second game of the year. He went two innings, just like he did against Middle Tennessee, finishing with the win. He struck out four, and allowed just two base runners. Brock Love also pitched in the game. He also threw two innings. He struck out a pair of runners, and allowed two runners. 

Alabama returns home to play Alabama State on Wednesday. Mason Duke will start.