Rondini family dismisses claims against University

The family of Megan Rondini and the University of Alabama announced the dismissal of all claims asserted by the Rondinis against the University in a joint statement on Feb. 27. 

According to the statement, the Rondini family and the University realized they both wanted to achieve the same goal during litigation: eliminating sexual misconduct. The Rondini family and the University worked together to create “additional ways the University can expand the reach of its efforts” and will do so in Megan Rondini’s honor. A few of these efforts include:

• The University has committed $250,000 to the Tuscaloosa SAFE Center, Inc. to provide facilities and services to aid and support victims of sexual assault. 
  • The University is committing an additional $150,000 by the end of 2019 to continue its efforts to add personnel to its team of employees dedicated to addressing issues associated with sexual misconduct.
  • Over the next five years, the University will contribute a total of $50,000 in a scholarship named after Megan Rondini. The scholarship will give preference to students focusing their studies at the University on biological sciences, veterinary studies, and/or STEM/MBA and a desire to promote gender equity in those fields.
  • The University will posthumously award Megan Rondini a magna cum laude B.S. degree with an accompanying certificate from the University’s Honors College dated May 2018.

Rondini had accused Terry Bunn Jr., son of a wealthy Tuscaloosa businessman, of rape, and after the case never came to fruition, she moved back home to Texas and died by suicide. Her parents then filed a federal wrongful-death lawsuit against UA employees. 

The lawsuit sought damages, specifically from Cara Blakes of the Women and Gender Resource Center and from Beth Howard, the University’s Title IX Coordinator.

Chris Bryant, assistant director of media relations, said in an email the dismissal does not involve any admission of wrongdoing, instead the Rondini family agreed to absolve the University and its employees of wrongdoing.  

“Also note that the University is not paying any money to the Rondinis and, instead, is continuing its funding and support of efforts to address the issue of sexual assault on its campus and the community,” he said. 

The joint statement from the Rondinis and the University can be found here