Old Crow Medicine Show to play Tuscaloosa

The Bama Theatre caters its services to many different groups in Tuscaloosa, and tonight at 8, Old Crow Medicine Show will headline.

Nashville-based band Old Crow Medicine Show is an American roots band that has been active since 1998. With six members, OCMS mixes the old-time string music of mandolin, banjo and slide guitar with their own folk-sounding vocals.

The band has been nominated for numerous Country Music Television awards, and they have sold more than 500,000 albums.

Alabama students are perhaps most familiar with Old Crow Medicine Show’s hit “Wagon Wheel.” The song, originally sketched by Bob Dylan but completed by OCMS member Ketch Secor, has gone on to be covered by many other artists including Mumford and Sons, Against Me! and Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers.

Outback Concerts, a promoter from Nashville, Tenn., is renting the Bama Theatre for the show. David Allgood, manager of the Bama Theatre, said Outback and the Bama have history.

“They did the Avett Brothers show at the Bama two years ago,” Allgood said. “They are a good professional group.”

Allgood said he is a fan of band, but he’s more excited about the audience.

“Getting more students to the Bama has been an initiative of mine for eight years,” Allgood said. “[OCMS] will bring a really young crowd and a lot of excitement. I’m looking forward to a high-energy evening.”

Tickets are $25. For more info, visit tuscarts.org.