Online degrees offered for military personnel

The University of Alabama’s College of Continuing Studies offers military personnel the option to receive an accredited degree online.

The goal of the online degree program is to assist men and women serving in the military by providing flexible and highly personalized options for completing their degree. The program offers its students the option to take online classes, videoconference classes and evening and weekend classes.

“The University became a participating institution with the e-ArmyU program in 2003,” said Nina Smith, the program manager for Student Services Academic Outreach and the GoArmyEd program. “E-ArmyU provides select online degree programs to soldiers who are in active duty with the army. ”

In 2007, the College of Continuing Studies converted to the GoArmyEd program to broaden the degree options for soldiers by allowing them to select from any online degree that is available through the University.

Currently, degree programs are offered through the College of Commerce and Business Administration, the College of Human and Environmental Sciences, the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Nursing, the College of Engineering and the College of Library and Information Studies.

“Distance students who are eligible for military educational assistance may use their educational benefits here at the University of Alabama,” Smith said. “We accept upfront TA assistance, post Sept. 11, Yellow Ribbon and all other state and federal tuition benefits.”

Most commonly, distance-learning students receive web-based instruction via online programs. UA’s online programs involve a combination of real-time student-and-teaching interaction, e-mail correspondence and online media.

The University of Alabama is an affiliate member of the Service Member Opportunity College and is registered with the Department of Defense as a participating educational institution to provide degree program opportunities for military personnel and their spouses.

“The College of Continuing Studies is proud to be able to serve military students all around the world, providing them with a degree of integrity and one they can proudly present anywhere,” Smith said.

Rebecca Pow, associate dean of the College of Continuing Studies, said that she feels that all participants in the program are extremely proud to be associated with an institution with the quality and reputation of the University.

“The fact that they can do this with a highly regarded University is very important to these men and women,” Pow said.

The program is open to all military service men and women including active military, military reserve, veterans and their families.

Pow said she believes that it is important for the University to recognize and support individuals who choose to serve our country through our degree program offerings.

Ryan Austin attended Shelton State Community College during the 2009-2010 academic school year. In March, Austin will begin his military training before becoming active in the Army.

Austin, who is considering UA’s online degree program, said he feels that this is a great service to provide to the men and women who serve our country.

“I really appreciate that the University of Alabama has taken the needs of the U.S. military into account,” Austin said. “It really says a lot about the University.”