Homecoming Parade celebrates legacy and student organizations

Hundreds of members of The University of Alabama community lined the streets of Tuscaloosa to watch the procession of the annual Homecoming Parade on Saturday afternoon. Students, alumni and fans alike cheered as student organizations and local businesses made their way down University Boulevard. 

“It was really cool seeing so many Alabama fans come together to celebrate what it means to be part of the Tide family,” said Abbie Ruesy, a freshman microbiology major. 

Following a police escort, Big Al led the way dancing around with the Alabama Cheer Team. Closely behind them were the Million Dollar Band, Crimsonettes, Color Guard and Crimson Cabaret, performing fan-favorites like the school fight song and the various cheers commonly heard within the walls of Bryant-Denny Stadium. 

The 2017 Grand Marshall, former Alabama quarterback John Parker Wilson, rode in style down the streets of his Alma Mater. Newly crowned Homecoming Queen Abigail Greenberg, a senior nursing major from Montgomery, Alabama, and her Homecoming court trailed behind. Miss Alabama, Jessica Procter, made an appearance as well, alongside a long line of beauty queens of every age. 

Ever loud and proud, the University’s sororities, decked out in their letters and extravagant accessories, shouted and chanted down the parade route. They blasted music and danced along the parade route, proud to represent their organization alongside their sisters. From Alpha Chi Omega, to Zeta Tau Alpha, and every group in between, they embodied their love for the University of Alabama on a grand scale.

Students from the College of Nursing, Alabama School of Law and the College of Arts and Science, amongst others, proudly represented their respective subjects as they waved to the crowds in decorated floats. 

Athletic groups such as the water ski team, equestrian team and tennis team made their way through the parade as well, riding in style on a boat, hanging with horses and playing two-on-two throughout the procession.

“There have been so many who have been a part of this before us,” said Victoria Jones, a freshman public relations major and member of the Million Dollar Band color guard. “Having that tradition passed on to us is such an honor.”