Alabama places in top three at Joe Piane Invitational

The University of Alabama juniors Gilbert Kigen, Vincent Kiprop and Alfred Chelanga finished 1-2-3, respectively, in the men’s 5-mile race at the Joe Piane Invitational Friday afternoon.

At Notre Dame’s Burke Golf Course, Kigen crossed the finish line first for the Crimson Tide, covering course in 23:23.7, just ahead of Kiprop (23:24.2). Chelanga (23:26.9) won his first individual title with the Crimson Tide. 

Friday’s results marked the second time in two meets that the trio has swept the top three spots. Junior Josh Short (24:55.3) and senior Garrett Bull (25:45.9) were the Crimson Tide’s fourth and fifth runners as Alabama finished eighth in the 21-team field.

“Finishing 1-2-3 for the second meet in a row is a great accomplishment and something we’re very happy about,” coach Dan Waters said. “I thought our top four runners on the men’s side ran very well. The important thing about today for both the men and the women is that we know where we stand competitively and understand what we need to do as we turn our attention to the Crimson Classic in two weeks.”

Senior Andrew Bull (26:16.9), sophomores Elliott Miller (26:05.3) and J.P. Brinyark (26:17.5), and freshmen Chase Buckelew (27:12.5) also ran at Friday’s meet.

While Southern Utah won the men’s race, the men’s team finished eighth.

The University of Alabama women’s team finished 18th in the 5,000-meter race with senior Caroline Barlow (17:47.4), juniors Nicole Gardner (18:00.2) and Jessica Gray (18:03.0), sophomore Rebecca Buteau (17:51.9), and freshman Maddie Dearborn (18:06.7) finishing as the scoring runners for the Crimson Tide.

On Oct. 13 Alabama will return to action when the Crimson Tide hosts the Crimson Classic at Harry Pritchett Running Park in Tuscaloosa. The men’s 8,000-meter race will start at 9 a.m. followed by the women’s 6,000-meter race at 9:45 a.m.