Radio voice inspires

We hear it all over the news, in commentary shows, and in online newspapers. Stories detailing the worst that is in mankind and the continuous bombardment of bad economic news seem to be constantly pervading our front pages. In light of this, it is easy to understand how many Americans can feel both despair and uncertainty in these turbulent times.

Yet this holiday break gave us one story that showed the best of America: the story of Ted Williams. A former radio host, Williams became deeply addicted to alcohol and other substances. As a result, he lost everything he had, including his home. His only means of existence came by begging for loose change off an exit ramp in Columbus, Ohio. Even though he had been clean from the things that haunted him for two years, the prospects of a better future looked fleeting while standing at that cold, dreary intersection.

But Columbus Dispatch photojournalist Doral Chenoweth turned all of that around, because, unlike many radio hosts today, Ted Williams was blessed with a stunning set of “golden pipes.” After Chenoweth uploaded a video of Williams’ performing voice on YouTube, the video went viral, generating over 12 million hits in its first days.

Overnight, offers from the NFL, MTV, ESPN and the Cleveland Cavilers—along with hundreds of others—came pouring in for Williams. Virtually every cable news network and morning show wanted to interview the virtuoso with the bold, baritone voice. Cinderella had arrived at the ball.

This story made me take a step back from the noise that is our current dialogue of negativity and confirmed to me why this country is still the greatest place on earth.

First of all, it shows that America is the land of second chances. We have all heard the stories of men and women who have failed spectacularly in their lives only to succeed even more magnificently at a later time. Consider Abraham Lincoln, who failed at business, had a nervous breakdown, and had a very rough start in politics. We do not recall those failures, because Lincoln ended up saving the Union.

The same could be said of Ted Williams. It is inarguable that he had a spectacular fall from grace, given his addictions, arrests and relegation to the shadows of society. But what makes America great is that anyone can be catapulted to greatness with a lot of work and a little luck.

While people can have a modest return to glory in some countries, no nation other than the United States could provide this kind of opportunity. In fact, many societies confine an individual to a specific caste at birth, with no prospect of elevating themselves any higher.

Right now, some of us may be lying flat on our backs from the events that have occurred over the past two years, but our social fabric allows us to regain our footing and keep moving forward.

The same can be said for most students. This is a new semester, and this is the perfect time to dust ourselves off from our previous falls and continue climbing towards our goals.

However, while most individuals see the first angle in this story, they perhaps miss the most important aspect in this modern-day parable: that America possesses a tender heart and carries the spirit of benevolence inside her.

Doral Chenoweth is perhaps the most impressive person in this story. His generosity, like many others that openly or anonymously give of their time and money, reflects this national spirit of forsaking our own wants so that others can receive that which they desperately need.

It has been awe-inspiring to see that even in the middle of the worst recession since the Great Depression, a plethora of campus organizations have continued to engage in incredible philanthropy. I would encourage all students to find one of the on-campus organizations or a cause that they support and help raise awareness and provide assistance to those in need.

Are times tough? Absolutely, and according to many analysts, they will stay tough for many years to come. But these trying times do not mean that America has lost the aspects that made her great, and certainly do not mean that those qualities should be lost on our watch.

We must cast off those things that depress our spirits, and realize that we—as individuals, as a campus, and as a nation—can make a difference in the lives those around us that are in need.            After all, it only took one ninety-second video to change one person’s world for the better. Just imagine what happens if we all do something similar.

Gregory Poole is a graduate student in metallurgical engineering. His column runs biweekly on Wednesdays.