Letter from the Editor

The Crimson White is entering its 124th academic year as the student news outlet of The University of Alabama. Each year has brought new challenges and incredible new stories to tell, and the many talented editors before me have left their mark on this organization. Times have changed, and we’ve had to change with them. 

Two years ago, The Crimson White took a step in the right direction. We upgraded our digital news coverage while reducing print publication to twice each week. At the same time, we began to integrate multimedia content into our daily news cycle. We’ve created video and podcast teams and vastly expanded our social media presence. In a time where most people get their news online, we’ve attempted to meet our readers’ needs digitally while also making a print product worthy of our 124-year legacy. Our goal, as always, is to be the most comprehensive source of news possible for UA students.

But we’re not there yet.

We need your help. We want your voices to be heard. We want to cover not only the news that you want to read, but the news that is important for you to read, the news that will challenge you to think in a new way. We want to start conversations, and we want you to be part of that.

We will still publish our print product twice a week. Here, you will find the best writing and photography in Tuscaloosa. We’ll produce stories you care about, including special editions designed to give you an in-depth look at important topics. You’ll find investigative writing and long-form features, as well smaller, fun culture stories and the latest news.

Our website, thecrimsonwhite.com, will be the ultimate information center for UA students. We’ll tell you about all the upcoming events on campus and in the Tuscaloosa area, including shows, festivals and games. Anything and everything you need to know, you’ll be able to find there and on our social media pages.

We’re putting a much greater emphasis this year on our video and podcast teams than any previous Crimson White staff. We’ll give you real video news coverage and broadcast-style pieces, as well as lighter entertainment. Our podcasts will provide the content you need in a form you can easily listen to on your way to class.

College campuses across the nation have felt the weight of this country’s current political climate, particularly over the last few months. Time and time again, we see protests turn to violence, voices unheard and the rights of students to speak freely ignored. We want to cover those issues, to give you, the student body, a voice to start conversations and become a true platform for ideas. We want to be your news outlet, just as we’ve been for the past 123 years. 

So let’s get started.