Local bands to play Apwonjo show

During their college careers, most students probably never directly donate to charity. After all, tuition, food and other expenses can drain precious dollars quickly, leaving little to contribute to worthy causes. But what if some fun was put into making charitable donations?

Apwonjo, a University student organization dedicated to addressing injustice in Africa, is trying to do just that. Tonight from 10 to midnight, they will host Music Uganda Love: A Benefit Concert with Callooh! Callay! and The Brooms at Mellow Mushroom.  The cover charge is $5, but attendees will be paying for more than just a good time.

“All of the proceeds are going to a secondary school that Invisible Children’s Schools for Schools program is sponsoring,” said Caitlin Trotter, a sophomore in New College and Apwonjo’s director of public relations. “This is our biggest fundraiser.”

After years of conflict in central Africa, many schools have been completely destroyed in the region. Currently, many charitable organizations are assisting in rebuilding the infrastructure; however, their main focus is primary education. Invisible Children’s Schools for Schools program focuses on improving secondary education in northern Uganda.

“Invisible Children supports 11 schools and provides mentors so every child is given all the tools they need to succeed,” Trotter said.

The money raised at the event tonight will go to the Awere Secondary School, a boarding school in northern Uganda. The school is rebuilding classrooms and dormitories that were destroyed during conflict.

After paying the cover, guests will have the opportunity to enjoy two local bands, Callooh! Callay! and The Brooms.

“We’re very willing to do it for free,” said Adam Morrow, a senior in New College and member of Callooh! Callay!. “It’s cool to know the money is going to help schools through a high-profile organization like Invisible Children.”

Attendees will experience other fun ways to donate once they get through the door. There will be a “free” prize drawing — the suggested donation is $1. Participants will have a chance to win an Austin guitar, among other prizes. Apwonjo also will be selling T-shirts to benefit the cause.

Apwonjo is hoping to raise more awareness than money. Elise Goubet, a sophomore in New College and active Apwonjo member, is disappointed students do not know about the conflict plaguing central Africa.

“College students don’t read the newspaper,” Goubet said. “What’s good about Invisible Children is that it might get people’s attention.”

Goubet hopes the concert succeeds in inspiring students to do more.

“I want someone to come to the concert and discover something about Invisible Children,” Goubet said. “Maybe [that someone] will go home, do the research, and decide to become a more active contributor.”

Apwonjo members believe contributing to Uganda’s education system is a vital step toward rebuilding the country as a whole.

“The initial violence [in Uganda] has left, and people are returning to their homes,” Trotter said. “Now, the best opportunity for Uganda is to give their children an education. Only then will they have the tool to rebuild their nation.”

Doors will open at 9 p.m., and music will start at 10 p.m. For more information, you can find the event on Facebook, “Music Uganda Love: A Benefit Concert with Callooh! Callay! and The Brooms,” or visit invisiblechildren.com to find out more about the benefit.