Swimmer enjoys last season at Alabama

University of Alabama senior swimmer Kate Shannon Gray said the faith she places in Christ is a huge part of both her swimming career and her life.

“Whether it is the events I compete in, the classroom or the college ministries I am a part of, my faith is definitely something that defines me,” Gray said.

Fellow teammate Suzanne Schwee said Gray also has a fantastic work ethic and is a great leader for the squad.

“Kate is a great person,” she said. “She’s fun, a hard worker and always leads by her example.”

Gray is a native of Northport and has absolutely loved being able to attend and compete for the school she loves. She said it means a lot to her to be able to compete for Alabama.

The team works to maintain a high GPA and hopes to be in the top four of the Southeastern Conference.

“The goal for our team is to always perform our best and to give 100 percent whether we are in the water or out,” Gray said.

This will be Gray’s last season with the Tide. When she leaves, replacing a leader like Gray will be difficult, head coach Eric McIlquham said.

“Kate has been a huge asset to our team,” he said. “She has been a good athlete since she has been here and was a good athlete coming out of high school. She’s a school record holder, and I just can’t say enough about her.

“Everyone brings something unique and special to the table. While we won’t be able to replace Kate, we will just have to find someone else that brings something special to our team and get them plugged in.”

When Gray graduates, she plans to take her talents to the next level. One of her biggest dreams is to compete in the Olympics.

“That’s the dream of any athlete, to compete at the highest arena,” she said. “When I am done here, competing at the 2012 Olympic Trials is something I want to do.”

With her time at the University coming to a close, she said she appreciates everyone at Alabama for helping her throughout her career. She said the University has been good to her, and it is the reason she said her time here has been the four most rewarding years of her life.