Remember to breathe through the memory

Remember to breathe through the memory

No worries. I am not leaving anytime soon, and I do not hope to either. But a recent event lead me to think of all the wonderful things I would miss if I should have to depart. I have brushed elbows with the eternal sleep more than once and avoided it thus far, but times like that make you appreciate what you love and have experienced the most.

I remember years ago when I was still performing both as an actor and a drummer in a rock band. That feeling of being on stage, with all the eyes upon you, watching your every move was invigorating! It was such a rush to be the center of attention and lost in the depths of the character I was playing. Whether I was keeping time and drowning in beats or invoking thunderous laughter, to entertain was one of the most breathtaking undertakings I have ever known. The thrill, the nerves, the excitement! It has to be better than any illicit activity on the market!

I absolutely love the sensation when a new idea or material hits my mind. When it pops into existence, it reminds me of the bubbling up of popcorn bursting and overflowing from the machine at the movie theatre. All the buttery popped kernels spilling over the top just like the big notion that was birthed in my mind. The thought that I get to share this new concept with others delights my heart.

Pizza and Mexican food have to make this article for me. The smell of the cheese baking up and strings it makes as you pull the long awaited first bite away is worth millions. Chips and salsa with a cold Dos Equis (if you are of age) accompanying the sound of mariachi overhead is to die for in itself. There are not many things better to experience than these two delectable food genres.

The sound of the marching band and breeze in the late September evenings reminds me that fall is incoming, Football is ongoing and it will soon be time for cooler weather, Halloween, Thanksgiving and time with my family. I would miss these times oh so much. Without question, I love and adore this time of year and all that it brings. So many good things have come about during this time. Do you remember the feeling of starting back to school as a child? You would get to see all of your friends again, pick out the cutest boy or girl in class, sport your new clothes, etc. This also meant Christmas was coming soon. How I would miss the holidays. The feeling of returning home to your family is like no other. The gathering around the table, the discussions of latest goings on, and seeing the relatives you missed the most are undoubtable some of my outright favorites. I probably don’t even need to go into, and for the sake of paper space, will just tip the hat and give a nod to Christmas Mornings.

I often find myself remembering the camaraderie I shared with my high school buddies. Everyone would comment on how close together we all were and had remained through the years. I never could wait to get to them. I would drop my high school sweetheart off at her home and head straight for my boys. They were all doing the same thing and headed to meet up with the rest of us. The bond we shared was quite remarkable. That bond further translated into my fellow soldiers and firemen I served with over the years. There is no feeling like sitting next to someone that would give their life for you in a heartbeat. That’s love on a whole another level and definitely one I would not forget.

Honorable mentions have to go to the pretty decent feel of the little puppy or kitten that grew into your favorite and most beloved friend. The snuggles you shared with them at night and long conversations you had when no one else would listen were paramount. You could say whatever you wanted with no fear of someone thinking you should be committed.

One of the sweetest things I would hate to leave would be the thought and site of my mother. Such a sweet soul that gave life to me is how I would recount her memory. I remember getting off the airplane when I got home from the Army. She ran to me with open arms and it was the best welcome home I could imagine. She held my hand through the hardest times and talked me through the worst break-ups when some puppy love had tromped my still innocent and youthful heart. The strong woman braved and weathered the most violent storms I had to go through, and most of all, she stood by my side when no one else would. They say there is no love like a mother’s love. They are right.

I would miss my beautiful wife more than anything. I have always loved the way she looked at me and the undying love that flows from her wonderful brown eyes. The sound of her laugh when she is thoroughly engulfed in a comedic moment is one of the best noises you will ever bear witness to. The way she takes care of our boys and the unwavering love she displays for them is undeniable. She never stops defending or being that “mama bear” when her cubs are in trouble. Her loyalty and extremely valiant love for the children are something to see in person. Do you remember that feeling of being so frightened and helpless as a child when something scared you? Your mom swooped in and saved you with that warm embrace and her arms formed a steel cage around all your fears that not even Superman himself could pry open. That is what I see, and I am so glad that I have been able to behold and enjoy such a woman.

I would miss the prattling of my little ones scurrying about the house playing. Stepping on Legos and finding Trashkins all over my floors are such glorious treasures to forgo. The giggling that erupts into boisterous cackling laughter is one of the most precious sounds these ears have ever heard. The look on their little faces when they simply want to sit next to you or ask for your hand so they can guide you to the block castle of which they constructed in your honor are marvelous memories to regard. The look of ease and relief that you bring to them when they are hurt, sad, or confused- one word or expression can change their entire attitude, emotion or perspective. That power is awesome because it is such a virtuous use of wholesome love from a great place known as the heart! This is what you have to hold onto and keep with you.

Recently, I happened onto the documentary about the great writer, director, columnist, Nora Ephron. You may remember her works like Sleepless in Seattle, You’ve Got Mail or I Feel Bad About My Neck. I watched the story of this woman that wrote great books and movies, inspired many, then became ill. She let only immediate family know of her condition, then quietly faced her end with them by her side. Her son thought to honor her life by making a documentary about who she was and this is what I had the fortune of viewing.

In her final days, she made lists of the things that she would miss the most when she left this part of her journey. I found this absolutely fascinating. It is not morbid at all. What a wonderful way to admire your life, your loved ones, and let the people around you and in the world know just what you appreciated. Her act of doing this made me realize that it is truly worth taking the time to think, re-live, and appreciate all of these magnificent details about your time here. I hope that by reading this, you will have a gander at what you genuinely love, keep it close and breathe through its memory every now and again.

Kale Jenkins is a graduate student studying nursing. His column runs biweekly.