SHC offers various forms of contraception to students

Contraception can be a tricky issue for college students. Purchasing it at a store can often be embarrassing, and finding a doctor in Tuscaloosa can be a hassle. But for students at The University of Alabama, there are some options for meeting sexual health needs on campus.

Contraceptives offered by SHC: Condoms, Morning-after pill, Prescription birth control.

CONDOMS

Any student is able to walk into the pharmacy to purchase condoms, according to the SHC website.  Planned Parenthood reports that condoms have an effectiveness rate of 98 percent and are the most popular form of birth control used on college campuses. Condoms not only offer protection against pregnancy but against many STDs as well.

MORNING AFTER PILL

The SHC Pharmacy does sell the Plan B pill, often referred to as the morning after pill. It is most effective if taken within three days after having unprotected sex. It continues to offer protection for up to five days after the pill is taken. Planned Parenthood warns against using the Plan B pill as a form of permanent birth control and suggests using it only as a last resort.

Female students wishing to start a birth control regimen have several available options.  
After making an appointment and discussing their options with a doctor, female students are able to decide which form of birth control best fits their needs and lifestyle.  

PRESCRIPTION BIRTH CONTROL

The pill is the most common form of birth control taken. It is an oral supplement that is taken every day and works most effectively if administered properly.  

The pill works best for students who have a set schedule that will allow them to take the pill at the same time every single day and who are not likely to forget. According to Planned Parenthood, the pill is 91 percent effective against unwanted pregnancy, but not against STDs.

The shot, often referred to by its technical name the “Depo,” is administered by a medical professional once every three months. Planned Parenthood reports it is 94 percent effective, but does not offer protection against STDs.

The patch is a good alternative for students who are not great at remembering to take something every day but do not want to have a needle stuck in their arm, either. The patch is a small, beige square that looks much like a bandage and only needs to be changed out once every week.  According to Planned Parenthood, it is 91 percent effective against unwanted pregnancy but does not offer any protection from STDs.  

Students wishing to learn more about their birth control options can make an appointment with the SHC online at shc.ua.edu.