Four tips to survive a hangover

EDITOR’S NOTE: A previous version of this article, “Five tips to survive a hangover,” stated that taking painkillers before going to sleep after a night of drinking would alleviate symptoms of a hangover the next day. This is entirely untrue – in fact, the combination of alcohol and painkillers, prescribed or over-the-counter, can be lethal. This sentence bypassed our usual safeguards in the editing process and made it into this story, and for that, The Crimson White sincerely apologizes.

We encourage every student at The University of Alabama to safely and legally partake in alcohol consumption if they so choose. We regret the error and are happy to set the record straight.

It’s Thursday night and you just turned in the last of your many assignments for the week. You sit there contemplating if you should spend your night cuddled up binge watching your favorite Netflix series or if you’ll treat yourself to a couple of drinks with your friends. Yeah, we’ve all been there. Your friends start to call you with convincing lines like “you’re only young once,” or “when’s the next time you’ll be in college” and finally you break. As you get ready for a somewhat simple night, one drink turns into two, two drinks turn into five and five drinks turns into that gut-wrenching morning-after Satan-spawned hangover no one likes to get. If you’re anything like the rest of the world, that moment you’re experiencing is made out of pure fear. So here are some of the best tips and solutions to surviving a hangover.

Powerade/Gatorade

This isn’t just a drink for when you want to look like you’re getting in the game, it’s also the drink that will more than likely save your life. The electrolytes found in these drinks help your body push through the pain and start over.

Anti-nausea medicine

If you don’t know what this is, you need to start doing your research. This anti-nausea pill that’s frequently used for extreme bouts of nausea takes you from yakking in a trash can all morning to the sunshine-y star you were meant to be. If you need the quick fix any assortment of anti-nausea medication will save you from the mistakes of your past.

Water

Now this may be the most important cure for a hangover to date and it’s pretty simple. Without this wonderful mix of H2O we would literally all die. Our bodies are almost 60 percent water, so if you don’t spend a healthy amount of time refilling your tank during your hangover, the journey you will embark upon is what nightmares are made of.

Sleep

Last but not least the most comfortable and affordable thing you need to fight off that hangover is a good kitty cat snooze.