The Crimson White Staff’s Favorite Holiday Songs

To help students get into the holiday spirit, the editors of The Crimson White each selected one of their favorite holiday songs. Tell us your own favorites by writing on The Crimson White’s Facebook page.

“What’s This” “Nightmare Before Christmas” soundtrack

Okay, so this isn’t your standard holiday radio fare. But this song, from perhaps one of the greatest (albeit dysfunctional) Christmas movies is pretty great. Jack discovers Christmas Town and is completely in awe, wonder and confusion. It’s very reminiscent of the first Christmas I remember, with all the lights and fanfare. Add in the macabre bits where Jack talks about children throwing snowballs instead of heads, and you get a nice balance between holiday spirit and that interesting Tim Burton touch. – Sean Randall, assistant lifestyles editor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxKiZfQcX8

“Christmas Eve / Sarajevo 12/24” Trans-Siberian Orchestra

An electrifying piece sure to leave the listener hungry for more, this metal Christmas ballad finds a spot on my favorites list because of the powerful, aggressive drive it delivers. Sans lyrics, this combination of “Carol of the Bells” (another favorite) and “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” help put TSO on the map and composes the stuff awesome is made of. Check out a live performance (at the BJCC December 11) for a sound and light show you won’t soon forget or give the full album a listen and follow the rock opera from start to finish. – Jerrod Seaton, photo editor

“Up on a Housetop” Gene Autry

This is my favorite because when I was 3 or 4 years old, I could have sworn I saw Santa Claus. When I saw him, he started climbing back up the chimney before he put all the presents under the tree, so I ran back upstairs as fast as I could and jumped in bed. I’m pretty sure it was actually him. I don’t know why people think he isn’t real… haters. – Jason Galloway, sports editor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EKoTPUTEhA

“Santa Claus is Coming to Town” The Jackson 5

While the classic version of this song is a fairly monotonous children’s tune, The Jackson 5 are sure to fill any holiday dance floor with this inspired rendition. The frenzied intro is enough to turn heads, and Michael’s pitch-perfect voice can make anybody feel like a kid again. Add the rest of the Jackson 5’s background vocals, and Michael’s emphatic “One more time!” at the end, and you’ve got one of the best Christmas songs of all time. – Victor Luckerson, editor-in-chief

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiNkll4JSwo

“God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” Barenaked Ladies

In Huntsville, the radio station Star 99.1 starts playing Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving. I’m all for it, but it really gets old after a month. When this song comes on, though, I momentarily forgive Star 99.1 for all the times they play “Christmas Shoes” and “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas.” “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” just encompasses how I feel about Christmas, and I’ve always liked Barenaked Ladies; the first CD I ever bought was one of theirs. Their version of this old English Christmas hymn rocks, and Sarah McLachlan’s “We Three Kings” verses that close out the song actually make it better. – Will Tucker, news editor

“Christmas Means to Me” Hanson

This song gets no play, and I really don’t understand why. The entire album, “Snowed In,” is full of hidden little gems like this — songs that are infinitely better than monstrosities such as “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas” and the song that almost made me stop listening to music altogether, “Christmas Shoes.” Taylor Hanson’s oh-so-very sultry (approximately) 14-year-old voice never ceases to amaze me. We’re not even going to talk about that album cover, where Taylor’s golden mane flows out around him as he lays on the ground next to his two brothers. – Hannah Mask, assistant news editor

“Greensleeves” John Coltrane

Also known as “What Child is This,” Greensleeves is one of the most recognizable folk melodies ever written and has become a Christmas staple. The fact that the tune has been played by so many different people with so many different styles (including a few lousy New Age renditions, complete with birds chirping) is part of its appeal, but I’m going with Coltrane’s as my favorite of them. It is a six-minute jazz romp and is more of a typical jazz song than a typical holiday song. – Adam Greene, chief copy editor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpX517F8H24

“Don’t Shoot Me, Santa” The Killers

This song is awesome partly because it’s got that signature Killers style of music and unforgettable vocals, and also because it’s a funny (if somewhat creepy) twist on Christmas music. It may not be your run-of-the-mill cheesy Christmas song, but it’s worth a listen for the hilarious, bizarre music video alone, especially because it’s rumored to be directed and edited by the adorably geeky Matthew Gray Gubler from “Criminal Minds.” – Kelsey Stein, lifestyles editor

“All I Want For Christmas Is You” Mariah Carey

This is one of those songs that you put down as your favorite because you know that everyone busts out singing this song in their car at Christmas time. Even though it constantly plays on the radio, it can’t help but put you in the Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and winter mood. Even if you don’t celebrate Christmas, this song is still a classic shower-belting, car-screaming, overly-embarrassing song that you can’t help but love. – Patty Vaughan, assistant news editor

None of the above

It’s six days after Thanksgiving, and we’re already sick of holiday music. It takes over every radio station for at least a month of the year, and it’s all you can hear in stores. You can’t even get your groceries in peace; you have to hear that whiny girl talking about how she wants a hippopotamus. Call us Grinches or Scrooges, but we’d rather listen to the same stuff we listen to the rest of the year. – Jonathan Reed, managing editor, and Brandee Easter, print production editor