Movie Column: Five classic sports films that still inspire

Sports movies are filled with glorified moments: the big catch, the winning basket. These moments put us in the shoes of the hero that wins the game and gets the girl. Although many can’t relate to achieving athletic greatness, there is something in sports movies for everyone. Most of them are filled with lessons that we can relate to our everyday lives and used as motivation to get through a tough situation. Here are a few of the movies that had us remembering our years as a high school athlete or feeling that we can do anything.

Remember The Titans

The state of Virginia has a great love for High School football, which is portrayed in “Remember the Titans.” The film is based on the true story of the community of Alexandria. Football was the center of the town in 1971, and tension arose when the high school football team attempted to integrate. Denzel Washington stars as a coach who attempts to unite his team to overcome racism and violence and achieve greatness on and off the field.

Field of Dreams

An Iowa farmer hears a voice in his fields one day saying, “if you build it, they will come”. He sees that as a sign to build a baseball diamond in his back yard. Although, he was faced with many taunts of lunacy; he did what he felt needed to do alongside his supportive wife. All of a sudden the spirits of baseball greats emerge from his crops, lead by Joe Jackson. Kevin Costner stars in this 1989 classic as a farmer who learns that “field of dreams” has a much deeper meaning than baseball.

A League Of Their Own

World War II causes a shortage of athletic young men. This leads to an all-women league springing up in the Midwest . Two sisters join a team name peaches managed by a former Cubs slugger. Jimmy takes the job as a joke at first. The league gains little attention at it’s beginning, but ultimately winds up on the front page of Life magazine. Their road to fame leads to great appreciation of women in the world of sports. The film stars Geena Davis, Tom Hanks, Madonna and Lori Petty in an adaption of a true story.

The Blind Side

This film tells the true story of Michael Oher, a homeless black teen who is faced with many disadvantages. He has drifted out of the school system and is on the road to an inevitable hard life. His life makes a serious turn around when he meets Leigh Ann Tuohy and her husband, who takes him in. With their help, Michael reaches his full potential as a student and football player. Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw lead the talented cast of this film.

The Mighty Ducks

In this film, a young lawyer played by Emilio Estevez gets arrested for drunk driving and is sentenced to coach a hockey team for community service. He has experiences on the ice, but he is not excited to return to the game due to a difficult relationship with a former coach. The reluctant lawyer grows to appreciate the team and learns a valuable lesson along the way.