Yiannopolous speaking engagement in jeopardy

The UA College Republicans announced today that the previously scheduled Milo Yiannopoulos speaking engagement is likely to be canceled.

Yiannopoulos was previously scheduled to speak on Oct. 10 in the Ferguson Center theater at an event hosted by the College Republicans.

The College Republicans announced in a press release that the University informed them that they would be responsible for the cost of security at the Yiannopoulos event. Totaling at $6,955.20, the cost of security proved prohibitive for the event.

“Whether the University just shuts us down or forces us to pay a prohibitive security fee, they deny us our freedom of speech, and they deny the entire student body the right to hear Milo’s message,” said College Republican Treasurer Gerald Fraas. “No matter your opinion on the speaker, this is an act against our liberty, a Heckler’s veto on speech.”

Breitbart News reported that the initial estimate for security was between $800 and $1,200. After further conversation with UAPD, UA College Republicans were later told the price of security increased between $4,600 and $4,800.

According to the release, attorneys for the College Republicans have written to the University’s Legal Counsel presenting legal and constitutional reasons why the fees should not be assessed, but they claim that University has not  yet responded.

The Crimson White contacted the the University’s Office of Media Relations for a comment, but did not receive one by press time.

In the past, Yiannopoulos, a British tech editor for Breitbart News, had been banned from DePaul University and Twitter for his incendiary remarks.

Yiannopoulos is perhaps best known for his crusade against political correctness, calling himself a “free speech extremist.” He is also the face of the alt-right and the portion of the LGBTQ community supporting Donald Trump.