Show choir resonates with students, fans

This Saturday night students can get transported into the University’s own live episode of Glee. Students will have a chance to enjoy popular, current songs as performed by the University’s own show choir group, Resonance.

The concert will be at the Bama Theatre on Greensboro Ave. at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, with doors opening at 7. Student tickets are $5 and adult tickets are $7. Tickets can be bought at a table in the Ferguson Center on Friday from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. or at the door on Saturday.

Before Glee and before show choir groups were all the rage, Resonance was started at the University by Michael Zauchin, a student and the director of Resonance.

Zauchin said it was a struggle, but after a lot of work and support it came together.

“I started Resonance in the summer of 2008 before Glee was even a sensation,” Zauchin said. “Resonance was quite an undertaking trying to muster up enough belief in myself that I could take on such a big project, but with the support of our faculty advisor and some close friends I felt like I had a stable foundation to really build something.”

Since then Zauchin said the group has been growing at an amazing rate.

“The talent, passion, the drive that the students bring to the stage every semester continues to grow and it amazes me,” he said.

Resonance is now in its third year of existence.

“We have performed around the state of Alabama as well as three major concerts at the University,” Zauchin said. “Audiences have ranged from 200 for our first performance to 800 with our last performance.”

Resonance has played many popular and modern songs in the past such as Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Free Bird” to Mika’s “Touch You,” Sara Bareilles’s “Gravity” to Lady Gaga’s “Dancing in the Dark,” Zauchin said.

Attendees can look forward to a similar variety at the upcoming concert. Songs by Rascal Flatts, Aerosmith, Tina Turner and more will be performed, Zauchin said.

“In the past we have done many songs that just happen to have been replicated on Glee,” Zauchin said.

In the beginning Resonance only had one concert a year, but as of last year Resonance began doing two concerts a year.

Zauchin said Resonance will have its annual Spring Revue, a performance at the Alabama Heritage Magazine’s 25th Anniversary Party and other performances at other schools around the state.

Members of Resonance will have tables set up in the Ferguson Center this Friday from 11 a.m. till 3:30 p.m. to sell tickets, chat and answer questions.

If students are interested in getting involved with Resonance, auditions are held in the fall of every year.

“There are currently 40 singers and dancers and we are backed up by a 10-person live band,” Zauchin said. “Students interested in joining can audition for the group next fall during the first few weeks of class.”

David Ray, a freshman majoring in international studies and Japanese and a member of Resonance, said his favorite part of being a part of Resonance is the feeing of family it provides.

“Every single member of this group I know is there for me whenever I need them,” Ray said

“We are a family,” Zauchin said. “It’s amazing how such a diverse group of people can come together under one common thread — music. The bond that is build between the students is unfathomable.”

Ray encouraged students to attend in order to see other students demonstrate not as widely viewed talents.

“It is an awesome opportunity to see peers use their talents in a way that they might not see often,” Ray said. “They are going to love it.”