Fashion: Fall into Alabama weather, with clothes to match!

Ah, Alabama in the fall. It’s my favorite time of year. The leaves with their yellows, oranges and reds, blowing through the autumn wind, are really a sight to behold, as long as you’re not being forced to rake them.

Another thing I like about this weather is the fact that it lends plenty of options for what to wear. It’s chilly in the morning, but by mid-day it might be in the 80s. Jackets are a must, but can be ditched when the temp spikes and you have to walk across campus to class.

So, today I decided to have a little fun with a sort of autumn look, but one that wouldn’t be too hot once I got out of class around noon.

I’m a sucker for a great pair of boots, so I went with these brown leather, flat-sole ones that are very comfortable. I could seriously keep them on all day, and I’m not just saying that. Paired with some simple skinny jeans from Old Navy, they look autumnal but not too wintery.

On top, this vest which I’m sort of in love with right now. The ties in front could go in the back if you wanted to show off the pockets more or look a little more work-appropriate, but I really love bows so I opted to tie it in front today. Underneath I wore just a simple charcoal-colored racerback tank.

Yes, I am mixing brown and grey. It’s okay. Dare I say you even try to mix black and brown sometimes. Interior designer David Bromstad once said, “Brown and black go with everything, so there’s no reason they can’t go with each other.” Just wear what you like.

And, last but not least, accessories! I also heard or read once to try and keep jewelry down to two pieces, so you don’t distract from your outfit or overload yourself and look tacky. Today I’m opted for simple dangling earrings in a vintage gold color and this really cute/kind of edgy snake bracelet with rhinestone head and tail.

Last but not least, I topped everything off with my new Maui Jim sunglasses. The style is called Ho’okipa, named for a beach in Maui. How appropriate, right? Anyway, after losing my first pair of Maui Jims the other day, I discovered just how awful it can be not to have a good pair of sunglasses. And though I searched Sunglass Hut and tried on several pairs, I came right back to the Maui Jims. They look stylish and have some of the best lenses on the market, though they aren’t exactly cheap… I’m going to keep this pair safe, that’s for sure.

I like this look because it’s casual but without looking like I rolled out of bed and threw something on. I can wear it to class or out to lunch or while working on stories for The CW, all of which I have done. It’s as versatile as the fall weather in Alabama, and I really like that about it.

Sunglasses, Maui Jim, $159.99

Snake bracelet, Claire’s, $12.50

Earrings, Target

Vest & tank top, GAP

Jeans, Old Navy, $19.99

Boots, Nine West