Cell phones take away from arts

Cell phones are probably one of the greatest problems facing the arts today, outside of funding. While I appreciate and am proud of the dramatic increase of awareness of all of the performing arts here on campus, I am disappointed because each show features additional lighting effects by audience members on their cell phones.

Obviously the note in the playbill and the announcement before the show is not sending a clear message — please turn off your cell phones before the show starts and leave them off! Not only is it the rudest thing you can do to a performer short of getting up and leaving, it is also distracting to performers (yes, they can see you) — plus it is annoying to other patrons.

And if that is not enough, cell phones are a huge safety concern in live theatre. Why?

Because cell phone signals can interfere with backstage communication equipment, possibly causing short periods where the stage manager cannot communicate with stage crew. Although this might not sound too bad, it could have disastrous effects to a show, as backstage operations, lighting and sound could easily fall into chaos.

If it does not completely shut off communication, cell phone signals can cause high pitch squeals to occur inside headsets and sound systems as individuals send and receive text messages or surf the web.

This fall’s Alabama Repertory Dance Theatre concert is nothing short of breathtaking. I probably enjoyed it more than any other dance concert I have seen in my four years at the Capstone, but I would have enjoyed it even more without the 40 some-odd cell phones that lit Morgan Auditorium opening night during and in between the pieces. Although this has become an all too common experience at live performances, the response given when a member of my group asked a fellow patron to cease to use their cell phone during the performance was even worse.

The Capstone is blessed with talented performers in diverse disciplines. I ask you to make a conscious choice to attend a performance — to experience live art at its best. And should you decide to spend your hard earned cash and time to see a performance — whether it be a concert, play, dance piece or opera — please respect the hard work and long hours spent by the artists and turn off your cell phone. You might just find that what’s on the stage is worth watching.

Brad Lee is a senior majoring in business management and theater.