More allegations against Newton come to light

Last week, questions regarding the recruitment of Auburn quarterback Cameron Newton were raised due to former Mississippi State quarterback John Bond coming forward with information about money being involved in Newton’s recruitment process.

Now, almost a week later, more allegations against Newton have come to the surface.

ESPN’s Joe Schad is reporting that two more sources who recruit for MSU said that Newton and his father Cecil said in separate phone conversations that money would determine Cam Newton’s college choice.

One of the recruiters said Cecil Newton told him it would take “more than a scholarship” to bring Cam Newton to MSU, which the source said the school wouldn’t meet.

Once he committed to Auburn, Cam Newton called another recruiter to express regret that he wouldn’t play for MSU, stating his father had chosen Auburn for him because “the money was too much,” according to ESPN.

Auburn continues to say Cam Newton is eligible to play football for them. Auburn head coach Gene Chizik announced that Cam Newton will play this Saturday against Georgia.

Another issue coming up with Newton’s past is one that takes him back to his days at Florida. FoxSports.com reported Monday that Newton was caught cheating three times at Florida and was to appear for a hearing in front of Florida’s Student Committee to face possible expulsion in spring 2009.

Florida head coach Urban Meyer has been accused of leaking this information about Newton, but he denied that either he or his staff leaked the information about the private student records, saying it was a ridiculous claim.